Replacement H22 Traveler (1981)

Jan 29, 2007
Hunter 22 Pelham Manor, NY (1981 H22)
Rig-rite seems to sell a replacement traveler system for the 1981 H22. Has anyone tried it? Which part number is the correct one for 1981 H22? Anyone know?
There is a line control conversion kit, but four different versions listed NF-599-A3 through D3. Which one do you recommend for the 1981 HUNTER 22?

also, does this require removing the track? or can i just remove the end pieces and slide the new cars on?

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Check out this link. It is a modification similar (I think) to what you want. I did this on my 23, by buying the individual parts, and it is much better than the pin-stop system that is stock.

Now, that does not answer your questions, but may help. I don't know the 22 and its traveler at all, but if it is mounted like the 23 and there is no room at either end of the track to slide on the new end assemblies, you probably will have to remove the track. That is not a big deal on the 23, though it is useful to have a second person to work the nuts inside the cabin. You can probably figure out which kit by looking at your track width, or whatever differentiates these kits.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Based on the one photo of an H22 (older model) that I found that shows the traveler, I don't think you want the C3 or D3 kits - these look like they have control ends that mount on the deck next to the end of the traveler track, and I doubt there is room for these. I suspect you could use A3 or B3 - but check the width of the T on your track and the width of the track-mount control ends. When I did mine, the opening on the control end was a hair narrower than the width of the track. All I had to do was dremel down the edge of the track a bit for the length of the control end bracket, but verify you can.

I'd lean toward A3, as it has the cam cleat on the control end, so you won't have to mount the separate cam on your seat back (or wherever) as you would with B3. Make sure you can figure out how to attach the NF659 blocks to your traveler car.

You could buy separate pieces, say using the NF6511R/L pairing instead of the double-block 6512 in the kit - depends on how much mechanical advantage you think you need for the size of the main on a 22. I have the style like in the kit, just because the guy that had extra parts to sell had units like 6512. It works fine. I have no idea if the 2-1 purchase in the smaller control end, vs. the 3-1 purchase I have, would have been enough. If they are similar cost, go for the 3-1.

Oct 19, 2016
Hunter 22 New England
I know that is has been a while, but how did you make out with the traveler replacement for your 1981 H22? I have a 1983 H22 that needs the adjustable traveler stop replaced.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
GaryRigged
Often many ask questions who generally get answers and we never see them again until the next question. why not send him a personal email thru the forum by going to your forum name in the upper right and click there and follow the prompts. If he does respond please let us know what you find out. Thanks

Jan 29, 2007
Gary and Dave, I never did it. I figured I would first just try to replace the car and ordered two new replacement cars from RigRite with NF586. After a year waiting for manufacture, they told me they had a problem with fabrication. I assume they simply will not be able to make them. So I am going to go ahead with a full replacement. I am assuming I will go with the A3 version as stated in the comment above from Isaksp00l. He seems to know what he is talking about.

Jan 29, 2007
I know that is has been a while, but how did you make out with the traveler replacement for your 1981 H22? I have a 1983 H22 that needs the adjustable traveler stop replaced.
Gary, I ended up going with a schaefer system. it was pretty much a direct replacement.
1 x Four Wheel Car/Stainless Channel 72-32 (72-32) = $297.15
1 x 4' 1-1/8” Track 42-74 (42-74) = $242.45
2 x Track End 74-90 (74-90) = $59.50
1 x Adjustable Track Stop 74-94 (74-94) = $106.90