Replacement feathering prop

Jul 31, 2010
Hunter 37 Muskegon, MI
Has anyone had any experience with operating Legend 37 (or 37.5) with a Brunton Autoprop? We are looking at potentially installing a 3 blade on our 1990 Legend 37 and were curious how the Autoprop performs.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
How about Kiwi Feathering Prop? Adjusting pitch can be easily done underwater.

Ken Y

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Assuming new? I did a bunch of research on them and they seemed to be in the better stats compared to the others. I purchased two of the older versions that use ball bearings and are water lubricated knowing their issues. One is/was rebuildable and one will need machining. I’m going to install the rebuilt one and confirm performance and if satisfied I’m going to either sell the other or have it machines and install it whil sale if the first installed. I hope to have it installed in the next couple weeks.

Jul 31, 2010
Hunter 37 Muskegon, MI
Assuming new? I did a bunch of research on them and they seemed to be in the better stats compared to the others. I purchased two of the older versions that use ball bearings and are water lubricated knowing their issues. One is/was rebuildable and one will need machining. I’m going to install the rebuilt one and confirm performance and if satisfied I’m going to either sell the other or have it machines and install it whil sale if the first installed. I hope to have it installed in the next couple weeks.
yes, we are looking at new ones. I have seen one of the older versions on a boat in the boat yard. I didn't initially realize it was the same prop with the ball bearings. I'm interested in what you find out about the performance once you get to run it. Thanks!

Nov 25, 2010
hunter 35.5 catawba island
I have a kiwi prop on my 35.5. After 5 years I have had no issues. Reverse works well. The design is rugged and easy to adjust.
The price was good also.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I swear by my Brunton's Auto Prop. It is still the best upgrade I've made to my 2006 Hunter 41. I have had the prop on for 7 years and have rebuilt it myself once in 2019 before launch. It has given me a higher top speed, almost no prop walk in both forward and reverse and full thrust in reverse. I have scared a few dock hands by coming in rather "hot" and then just stopping the boat dead in a half length. Love their horrified faces :cool: . The best thing is motor sailing. It has paid for it's self over the years for this feature alone. Because it self pitches to fit the situation, I have been able to cruise the East coast and LIS and stay on a schedule! I always plot my trips at 7 knots and can always make that or better, with or without wind. While other boats are trying to match the desired speed to the appropriate RPM because it matters very little if your main sail is up to help augment your speed because your prop is a screw and can actually hold you back if the RPM's are set too low, my Auto prop actually self pitches to help the main sail at all times. Of course if there is no wind we don't put out the main but if I have 8 to 10 knots of wind with only 12~16 hundred RPMs (1600) I can make 7 knots! The fuel savings and comfort in knowing you can make a location you're aiming for is well worth the money! Talk to Rod at King Propulsion and tell him Dom Spina sent you. I don't know if you'll get a discount but I sure will get points. LOL

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Practical Sailor has a nice article on folding and feathering props. I have a Gori twin blade folding prop. It's overkill for my big pond but maintenance is almost nil. .

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The blades hardly ever fall off those! :laugh:
Oh masked one, we have covered this, it has a service interval and when people who own these props or people who dive on the boat and don't tell the ignorant owner of said prop to pay attention to the prop, then yes there can be problems. Any ignored piece of machinery will self destruct if ignored over time. :biggrin:

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I had one of 3 KiwiProp blade dropped off 3 years ago. The captive pin (dowel pin) slide right off after several hours of motoring. Had to motor on with the unbalance/vibration for many hours due to darkness before diving under to replace the missing blade in daylight. Replacing was easy. Luckily the new spare blade comes with a screw locking type pin.
Then just 2 weeks ago, I dive under to clean my KiwiProp and found one of the two older blades with dowel pin came off half way. Could have lose that blade had I not checked. I think the newer design that uses screw locking pin is way better.
Photo show one blade missing and red circles are the Dowel Pin whole the blades.

Ken Y

Attachments

Last edited: