Replacement AC Unit / Reverse Cycle

Dec 8, 2020
Hunter 33 Gloucester Point, VA
My Hunter 33 (2005) has the original Marine Air SVCD16K/1 unit that neither heats nor cools any longer. I’ve checked with Dometic who walked me through the reset procedure, which didn’t make any difference. I’ve had a marine AC tech look at it and has confirmed it has lost all Freon but is unaware of where the leak is. He has offered to dig into it, based on his hourly rate to try and troubleshoot further, however his recommendation is a new unit.

I‘ve been considering the Webasto FCF Platinum 16K however have been advised of poor support in the US. His recommendation is either the Dometic Turbo, MarinAire or Marine Air refurb kit. I’m trending away from a refurb kit and find the Dometic Turbo is simply too much money and actually, there is a sourcing problem as well. So that leaves MarinAire or the Webasto.

The reviews on the Webasto are typically very good and also carries a 2-year warranty as opposed to 1-year on the MarinAire.

Has anyone replaced their Dometic with either a MarinAire or Webasto in a similar sized Hunter? Would welcome any feedback.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Last month I replaced original Marvair 16K with Webasto Platinum 16K. Looked at other replacements included Dometic, but none are a direct replacement, nor do any match the 2 year warranty. I am always amazed how a product can rave about the high quality of their product, but fail to back it up when it comes to the warranty. The Webasto comes with 2, 3/4" to 5/8" raw water hose adapters but your going to need a short length of 3/4" hose to connect to the Webasto unit. Also the output connection to the main duct is properly going to need to be adapted which I did with good quality duct tape. I am very happy with the Webasto unit, and would choose it again if needed. Be aware today is the last day of a sale on these items at Defender.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Most of these miniature water cooled AC or reverse cycle units use window unit compressors are rotary/scroll type made by various manufacturers pretty hard to go wrong with what ever you get,

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2012
Webasto has a proprietary compressor. Dometic replacement from 2 years ago had a Panasonic compressor.

Feb 26, 2009
You do realize no manufacturer is required to offer any warranty on their products? Most offer a warranty in good faith and to entice new customers to buy their products. But these machines, once they leave the factory and get installed how are you going to get any service unless you take/send it back.
Proprietary doesn't mean anything to me, It may mean something to you, to me it just means they bought the rights to a whole manufacturing run of a certain model I think in the end you'll find their units are just re- tagged units because if I am not mistaken to Dometic has a number of lines

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My old Marine Air Systems unit from 1993 had a Tecumseh compressor.. It ran fine for 16 years then the compressor shell rusted through and the cold juice leaked out.. I found that I couldn't buy a Tecumseh, but I found a Panasonic compressor (from Grainger) that is a great fit..

Feb 26, 2009
There aren't many piston compressors left out there, they were noisy, hi amperage start,
they are still predominantly used in larger air conditioning and refrigeration systems where you have a horsepower and torque requirement but in light duty stuff like a small package units window units Marine units dehumidifiers, rotary compressors really fit the market. refrigerant 410A has been around quite a while now also, even refrigerant r22 is being phased out pretty much all the fluorocarbon refrigerants are being replaced with "something else" what, who knows?

Referring to Marine air conditioners as miniature like window units probably hits a sore spot because they're so damned expensive! But they really are small air conditioning units the main thing makes them different from a window unit is the water condenser called a coaxial heat exchanger.

Dec 8, 2020
This is a good fit for you. I did the full replacement with this one.
Dometic ECD

Newest refrigerant too.
Jim....
Jim - so the Dometic ECD - is it a basic drop in to your existing system? Water adapters, ducting and electrical require modification? It has been suggested to me this unit is simply a drop in replacement? Also your Hunter 43 (vs my 33) - does the 16K do a good job both heating and cooling?

Jun 15, 2012
I bought a "replacement" Dometic unit for the main cabin a/c on my now sold Hunter 41DS. It was far from a drop in replacement. I had to install the unit 180 degrees backwards, as the fan outlet would not rotate to the correct position to meet the ductwork. Also the connection "box" for the factory installed duct connection had to be reversed and physically modified to fit.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Jim - so the Dometic ECD - is it a basic drop in to your existing system?
Yes, mine was fairly easy.

But it was not "Plug and Play" for my MarineAire 16kBTU.

I had to do some adaptions as @SEMPERAVANTI41 noted above, but not quite that bad.

It took 3 hours to remove the old unit and put in the new, but I had a free helper.:biggrin:

I had to buy one new hose for the condensate drain [$20] and one adapter to orient the water flow direction.

My suggestion is to check out that unit's dimensions and orientation. [the Dometic tech recommended it]
_______
1) Very very quiet and efficient on power draw.
2) Both Heat and Cool cycles, basically did our entire boat. I have another 8k BTU Dometic, in the Aft Cabin.
3) The Control panel wire was easily pulled with old wire and fit the cut out perfectly.
4) Power Box was "Plug and Play".

Jim...

Dec 8, 2020
Thank you all for insights! I think now I am trending towards the Dometic ECD for more of a direct replacement to my current system. I intend to flip the boat in a few years so this seems like it may be the best option.

Dec 8, 2020
Yes, mine was fairly easy.

But it was not "Plug and Play" for my MarineAire 16kBTU.

I had to do some adaptions as @SEMPERAVANTI41 noted above, but not quite that bad.

It took 3 hours to remove the old unit and put in the new, but I had a free helper.:biggrin:

I had to buy one new hose for the condensate drain [$20] and one adapter to orient the water flow direction.

My suggestion is to check out that unit's dimensions and orientation. [the Dometic tech recommended it]
_______
1) Very very quiet and efficient on power draw.
2) Both Heat and Cool cycles, basically did our entire boat. I have another 8k BTU Dometic, in the Aft Cabin.
3) The Control panel wire was easily pulled with old wire and fit the cut out perfectly.
4) Power Box was "Plug and Play".

Jim...
Thank you Jim. This is extremely helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.