Replace Wind Transducer

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
Has anyone replaced the original Raymarine ST 60 wind masthead transducer. The winter demolished mine. I think that the replacement part is R28170 (Box)Transducer. I know this part is not the original but it seems to be compatible. I wonder what tools I need to bring up with me to accomplish this job. At my age, 74, the less trips up the mast the better,
Thanks
Jeff Wolfe
s/v Still Crazy 310 '05

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
No tools are needed to exchange the anomemeter. Simply unscrew the existing one and install the new one. I applied lanoline on the pins when I replaced mine. Be sure to turn off the power during the exchange. You must re-caliberate after replacement in order that the direction of the wind is correct.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Replaced ours when we bought the boat. Actually, my rigger did; he’s much better going up the rig than me. He also replaced the steaming/deck light housing at the same time.

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
We had an issue and I originally thought it was the anemometer, so I got the replacement and went up the mast with a screwdriver that has interchangeable heads, needle nose pliers and a large flathead screwdriver in case I needed to get leverage to pop it off. If memory serves me right I only needed the screwdriver and heads - relatively easy work.

Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Looking at the instructions for the R28170, it looks like you need a cable removal tool to unscrew the cable releasing nut and that this tool comes with the new kit. I was wondering if you remember needing this tool. Also, did the holes for the new base match those of the old base (i.e. have the same template) or do new holes have to be drilled out? I intend to use the old existing cable which I hope will plug directly into the new wind vane. I assume that pins on the old cable and the new vane assembly will match.
Thanks again
Jeff Wolfe
s/v Still Crazy 310 '05

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I really don’t remember if I needed that kit, but if it was included in the replacement I probably took it up in my tool bag. I did a full swap out of the gauge as I wasn’t sure where the system had gone bad. I do remember that the mount for the replacement fit perfectly on top - no new holes needed to be drilled.

Mar 30, 2007
Hi
Thanks for all your help. I just ordered the part and will let you know how it goes.
Jeff

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My boat came with the ST50 wind vane and display. The ST50 wind vane was not compatible with my new networked instruments so I had to install the same model number you linked to.

It was a simple swap out.
The wind vane is attached to the base mount with a plastic knurled nut. Unless you are changing the cable there is no need to remove the base.
Just undo the knurled nut of the old wind vane, pull off the old wind vane, push on the new wind vane and tighten the new wind vanes knurled nut.
At the most maybe a pair of channel locks in case the nut is more than hand tight and maybe a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the old wind vane off the base if it is stuck a bit but nothing to really dissemble.