Replace universal 25xpb exhaust riser

eberns

Aug 29, 2009
catalina mkII RI
20 year old Catalina 28 with original exhaust riser. No apparent problem but should it be replaced just because of its age

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I wouldn't - just take a close look at it internally as best you can - especially where the raw cooling water is injected. On mine, just removing that hose allows me to see inside very well. If you see a lot of rust or carbon build-up, you might want to replace it - if it's relatively clean, don't.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Years don't matter. Engine hours do. Our 35 year history with our C34s shows around 1500 engine hours is a good time to really start thinking seriously about replacement. The issue is almost always at the weld where the nipple for the water meets the larger exhaust gas pipe.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Years don't matter. Engine hours do. Our 35 year history with our C34s shows around 1500 engine hours is a good time to really start thinking seriously about replacement. The issue is almost always at the weld where the nipple for the water meets the larger exhaust gas pipe.
My C30 has 930 hours. Can this be rewelded? As in more material added to this joint as a preventative measure?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My C30 has 930 hours. Can this be rewelded? As in more material added to this joint as a preventative measure?
To do that you'd have to take it off anyway, so put a new one on and try to repair the old one as a future possible backup. But I doubt it would take a repair because the original material that is now gone would most likely have been stronger than the weld. How would you test it to see if the repair "took?"