Replace Rivets or Tap and Screw?

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I had to drill out a couple of rivets holding the "end cap" on my boom to repair an in-boom outhaul system. If I replace the rivets 3/16" (5 mm) , should I use aluminum or stainless? Alternatively, I can tap the holes and use 1/4-20 stainless bolts. Thoughts?
cec

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The boom is aluminum so whatever you use should be aluminum or you will get dissimilar metal corrosion. BTW... once you get used to rivets, they are so much easier and hold better IMHO

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply, Martin. My current rivet gun is too small. Anyone out there have experience with the Arrow rivet guns? Can get them at the local Lowes.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Aluminum rivets will make any future work easier. The loads on the the end caps are pretty low and the forces pull the end cap into the boom.

Arrow rivet guns are good. They come in a couple of different styles, get the heavier duty one. Should be around $20-30.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have an arrow from Lowes
I use it all the time. Once you get used to having one, you find all sorts of uses for it.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Stainless screws would work fine since it appears you are on a fresh water lake. By the way, Catalina used stainless screws on my 30, which is also a fresh water boat. If go the rivet route, you might as well go with monel rivets which are best with aluminum in any environment.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've done this many times, replacing the original SS with the same. There is really no reason to change anything. No, you won't get anymore corrosion than you did last time. Easy. But you could use aluminum since this is low stress.

3/16" is the most common size. Are you sure your gun does not handle that?

Mar 23, 2015
I've done this many times, replacing the original SS with the same. There is really no reason to change anything. No, you won't get anymore corrosion than you did last time. Easy. But you could use aluminum since this is low stress.

3/16" is the most common size. Are you sure your gun does not handle that?
Negative and beginning to question this. Will take a look at it to be sure.
cec