Replace/refit Yanmar YSM8

Status
Not open for further replies.

g5665

Mar 18, 2011
Yamaha 25mkii Macau
I need the input from all of you fellow owners of Y25MKii or similar

My boat need to repair the YSM8 completely. A complete refit…

The engineer gave me 3 options:

Option one: keep the same old model and complete refit it, which will be expensive (according to him, at least 1500US$ in local currency here in Macau just for Yanmar parts)

Option two: buy a similar engine new, made in China, with 3 years warranty (1000US$).

Option three: install a new engine, outboard, removing the inboard unit. Yamaha (+/- 1500US$).

Please send me your advice and experiences.

Regards

Feb 11, 2010
Pearson and Yamaha Triton , 25II Juneau
I wouldn't put an outboard on a Yamaha 25, the transom is not particularly strong and would take a lot of reinforcement plus we are talking about a major CG shift. In any case 15 hp is way to big an outboard, I use a 6 hp Tohatsu on my Pearson Triton (28.5'-- 7,000lbs), 5 kts while towing a dinghy, maybe more when I put the high thrust prop on at 84 lbs weight.

Take a good look at how much a new diesel will weigh.

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
inboard diesel vs. outboard

I agree with harryjak.... save your money and stick with the diesel. A quick look on a sunny day looking from the inside-out will show you how thin the transom is. It wasn't designed to support equipment. --- It's not a design flaw....modern performance sailboats have open transoms

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Yamaha 25 MkII Sugar Bay Lake Macquarie
yes,stick with diesel

btw,
g5665,i am interested in your option two,$1000 for new similar diesel engine,made in china,3 years warranty!!!!
could you give complete details,how similar ,web site,etc,etc,because even if it'll cost twice as much to get it over here,it'll still be $4000 less then here!(i am a committed "buy australian"person,but i will release myself from this commitment if it is real,once off only!)

I need the input from all of you fellow owners of Y25MKii or similar

My boat need to repair the YSM8 completely. A complete refit…

The engineer gave me 3 options:

Option one: keep the same old model and complete refit it, which will be expensive (according to him, at least 1500US$ in local currency here in Macau just for Yanmar parts)

Option two: buy a similar engine new, made in China, with 3 years warranty (1000US$).

Option three: install a new engine, outboard, removing the inboard unit. Yamaha (+/- 1500US$).

Please send me your advice and experiences.

Regards

g5665

Mar 18, 2011
Yamaha 25mkii Macau
furdui

I will ask the engineer taking care of the problem. He was the one who suggest it.
I've no idea if they have website... i'm in China so make it easier to access this kind of things here...
However, i decided for the rebuilt of the engine...
They removing it today to check what i need to order...
Any ideas where i can order Yanmar YSM8 parts? OEM or originals?

Thanks

yes,stick with diesel

btw,
g5665,i am interested in your option two,$1000 for new similar diesel engine,made in china,3 years warranty!!!!
could you give complete details,how similar ,web site,etc,etc,because even if it'll cost twice as much to get it over here,it'll still be $4000 less then here!(i am a committed "buy australian"person,but i will release myself from this commitment if it is real,once off only!)

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
Hi :
I have been using the Yahama 25 for some 28 year and I have overhaul the Yanmar YSM8 myseft . It is a simple an reliable engineer . I have recent re engined becasue I am too old and tiresome to overhaul the engine once more . So I have some new spare parts such as the head, making elbow and the impeller of the water pump. for sale at halt of the market. I have post it in the Yahoo. Geniune parts can be available from the authorised dealer in Hong Kong . Let me know if need any information . I have the service manual of the engine.

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
some more information to share. I planned to fix the Yanmar YSM8 sometimes last years. What I got was :

re-engine to a new Yanmar 1GM10 , the labour cost was some HK 10K.

using a mount for outboard , the mount is some HK2K and labour of $2-3K you still need a gasoline tank and the connection. It is not good in heavy weather , the propeller will come out from the water even you use the long shaft type .

I have been looked after this engine for some 25 years and I have overhauled the engine myself . It is a reliable and simple engine. If you just get bad smoke or noise and you didn't want to spend a lot to re engine . You can only need to remove the head , clean the valves and replace the gasket and the mix elbow. The parts may cost you some 1.5K and the labour cost is hard to estimate, say 3k.

I got the engine replace because I am too old to do the labourous work and I need a reliable engine in the open sea , because I very often set sail alone. If you let me know last year, I can pass the engine to you free of charge .

the cost of US 1000 for a new engine is too good to be true. check out the total cost . any modification of the seat is required ? need to replace the shaft or the propeller . The original Yanmar YSM is an anti clockwise shaft turning .

good luck

g5665

Mar 18, 2011
Yamaha 25mkii Macau
Boffin thank you for your information and insight.

I just finished the overhauled of the YSM8... ordered the needed parts from Australia for around 10K HK$ including shipping. Changed caskets, valves, zinc, belts, etc. The mechanic made me a list.
The engine was assembled back in the boat yesterday.
Today i went there to check if was ok (mechanics in Macau don't work on sundays!!!) and was able to make it work manually. Everything is connected but the electric starter not working (informed the mechanic already) even if all the other electric system is working and the bateries are charged.
Stated by hand was not a problem, it worked promptly. However, have some water leckage in the mixing elbow (the mechanic didnt apply the isolator paste - donno the name of it!!!). The water coming out on the rear its clear (thanks god no more black smokes) but the smoke it's white and quite alot (i don't know if it's normal being a diesel engine and being just fixed, maybe the pistons are still not runned enought?)

We should meet some times since we are not that much people in this waters with the same kind of boat.

Cheers
Joao Gomes
some more information to share. I planned to fix the Yanmar YSM8 sometimes last years. What I got was :

re-engine to a new Yanmar 1GM10 , the labour cost was some HK 10K.

using a mount for outboard , the mount is some HK2K and labour of $2-3K you still need a gasoline tank and the connection. It is not good in heavy weather , the propeller will come out from the water even you use the long shaft type .

I have been looked after this engine for some 25 years and I have overhauled the engine myself . It is a reliable and simple engine. If you just get bad smoke or noise and you didn't want to spend a lot to re engine . You can only need to remove the head , clean the valves and replace the gasket and the mix elbow. The parts may cost you some 1.5K and the labour cost is hard to estimate, say 3k.

I got the engine replace because I am too old to do the labourous work and I need a reliable engine in the open sea , because I very often set sail alone. If you let me know last year, I can pass the engine to you free of charge .

the cost of US 1000 for a new engine is too good to be true. check out the total cost . any modification of the seat is required ? need to replace the shaft or the propeller . The original Yanmar YSM is an anti clockwise shaft turning .

good luck

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
Good to know you got the engine fixed.

You may have to change the brush inside the starter (that happen to mine ) It is inexpensive .

White smoke may be due to improper timing or too much lubricate oil in the engine . It happen to me both . the gap in the head for the intake value and the exhaust value is 0.2mm. Your mechanic should adj to this value to ensure the value open and close at the right time .

You must fix the water leakage . It happened to me and created a lot of problem thereafter . The salt water would make your engine head rusty very fast and leaking represents the exhaust gas also go into the engine room . As time go by , you get a dark carbon engine room.

There are two supplier in HK import genuine parts from Japaen . let me know if you want to know . I still have the new mix elbow and if need it , let me know and I put the advertisement in the web site of HH yacht club for my surplus parts http://www.hhyc.org.hk/

In HK , there may be some 10 Yamaha 25 still afloat . I have sailed to Macau in a very cold winter back to 20 years ago. Time flies .

Happy sailing

KS Lam

g5665

Mar 18, 2011
Yamaha 25mkii Macau
I replied to you at HHYC

Good to know you got the engine fixed.

You may have to change the brush inside the starter (that happen to mine ) It is inexpensive .

White smoke may be due to improper timing or too much lubricate oil in the engine . It happen to me both . the gap in the head for the intake value and the exhaust value is 0.2mm. Your mechanic should adj to this value to ensure the value open and close at the right time .

You must fix the water leakage . It happened to me and created a lot of problem thereafter . The salt water would make your engine head rusty very fast and leaking represents the exhaust gas also go into the engine room . As time go by , you get a dark carbon engine room.

There are two supplier in HK import genuine parts from Japaen . let me know if you want to know . I still have the new mix elbow and if need it , let me know and I put the advertisement in the web site of HH yacht club for my surplus parts http://www.hhyc.org.hk/

In HK , there may be some 10 Yamaha 25 still afloat . I have sailed to Macau in a very cold winter back to 20 years ago. Time flies .

Happy sailing

KS Lam

Boffin

Aug 30, 2010
yahama 25 Hong Kong
There is a malfunction of the HHYC website .If you click REPLY and your e-mail will go to no where . Pl e-mail to me directly.

g5665

Mar 18, 2011
Yamaha 25mkii Macau
Can reply you here anyway...

Yes i will keep the spares you have...if you can wait until i go to HK next time...
I go there not often...but maybe next October need to go there since i write to Fragrant Harbour and need to talk with the director.

There is a malfunction of the HHYC website .If you click REPLY and your e-mail will go to no where . Pl e-mail to me directly.

Sep 5, 2010
Yamaha 25 Hebe Heaven
Hello, Boffin and g5665,

I'm also at HHYC in Hong Kong. It's nice to know there are other Y25 owners around.

I've been repairing my boat since I bought it a year ago. Luckily (for me, but not for the previous ower) the YSM8 engine was replace with a brand new 2YM15 some 3years ago. But still there are quite some work needed to be done on the rigging and sail/rope systems.

g5665

Mar 18, 2011
Yamaha 25mkii Macau
Welcome to the group

i can be reached by email joao@pubeditions.com
or in FB just add g5665@yahoo.com.hk

Hello, Boffin and g5665,

I'm also at HHYC in Hong Kong. It's nice to know there are other Y25 owners around.

I've been repairing my boat since I bought it a year ago. Luckily (for me, but not for the previous ower) the YSM8 engine was replace with a brand new 2YM15 some 3years ago. But still there are quite some work needed to be done on the rigging and sail/rope systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.