Replace old bladder waste holding tank on 1980 H30

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 30 Ithaca
Hi all... I posted this on the Hunter forum and did not get any responses... Might be no one has experience with this specifically on a Hunter so I thought I would post it in this forum as well.... Sorry for the redundancy, but am hoping for some input/information before I start to tackle this project, hopefully this weekend....

I need to replace an old bladder waste holding tank on my 1980 H30. Currently the bladder is under the port side V-berth. I would like to replace it with a solid tank, if at all possible. We do not need a very large one as it is mostly myself and occasional overnight guests and we pretty much stay at the slip overnights, so can use the marina facilities most often. I have a Jabsco head and just replaced the entire cylinder and it works great. Water is supplied via a thru hull.

Has anyone had experience with a 1980 H30 holding tank replacement? If so, can you tell me what size tank will fit in with the least amount of altering of the hole that is in the port v-berth? Any specific manufacturer? Also, how does the tank set it in there? Do you need to install some sort of a mount for it to sit on? Am thinking of a plywood platform w 5200 to attach it to the hull and the inside of the v-berth....

Appreciate any insight anyone may be able to offer....

Thanks

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i did this years ago, i got a used tank from someone at the boat yard. put it in under the v berth. i think i secured it with teak cleats, cant remember. one thing is i had to add a vent, because the bladder didnt have one.

mike

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 30 Ithaca
Thanks Mike... Good suggestion on the vent... Did you support the new tank with any sort of plywood platform under it, or just the teak cleats, somehow?

I am headed to the boat later today and hope to do the measurements and have a plan in place by the end of the weekend... I suspect that whatever size tank I will order will have to be shipped to me, so I doubt the project will get finished this weekend.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I had a 12 gallon bladder holding tank on our original Catalina-22. It sat up forward under the V-berth in the bottom of the hull. The angle of the bottom didn't bother it at all. Was a GREAT set-up and took a lot less space.

Don