Replace main or genoa first?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Both my main and genoa are starting to show their age. The O'Day gets more of it's power from the genoa. Which would you recommend replacing first?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Is the main baggy enough to create excessive heal? If so, I would consider replacing that one first.

Greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Is the main baggy enough to create excessive heal? If so, I would consider replacing that one first.

Greg
I think I'm starting to see it get a little baggy in some spots. I noticed quite a bit of twist in it on our last sail. It's hard to say if it's excessive heal as I only have only used that sail on my 25 and have no other 25's to compare it to. I will say that it's difficult to get past 25 degrees of heal. I've only gotten to 45 degrees once for a second or two and I've tried really really hard. A couple years ago I brought it to UK to have them modify it for a dutchman system. They estimated that it was roughly 20 years old and advised against spending the money on a sail of this age.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Do you ever sail with only 1 sail? I often sail in heavier winds with just my jib…if so, maybe that is the one to replace first.

In my case, the main was the oldest…and then I tore it across a batten pocket doing a “controlled” jibe (not as controlled as I thought apparently). So the main was replaced first. Last year, I bit the bullet on a new 135 Jib to match the mainsail.

So, which ever you buy first, the other will surely not be far behind ;)

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you have a full battened main, the replace the Genoa first. If you have only partial battens, then replace the main first.

A bagged out main will cause a lot of heel and affect windward performance as the boat will tend to side slip. A full battened main will retain its shape better and be less affected by stretch, so replacing he Genoa first makes sense.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Do you ever sail with only 1 sail? I often sail in heavier winds with just my jib…if so, maybe that is the one to replace first.
Yup, we usually use the jib in heavy conditions because nobody has to climb on deck. It's more of a risk in 25' boat than in a 30+
The OP did not define what he meant by showing age. Condition of cloth or shape.
Slight baggyness in some areas? I really have no idea what else to look for. I'll ask the sail loft to evaluate them

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As sail age, besides getting baggy, the draft moves aft. For a good sail the draft would be at a position of about 40% of the cord length from the luff or less (Draft forward shapes make a wider steering groove). If it's more than the sail will have too much drag and it will produce heel versus power forward. And it will steer like a deck boat.
I don't know OP's boat but I think it"s a masthead rig. So if the main is blown out he could reef it as flat as possible and enjoy a new jib, until replacing the main. With a masthead rig the main basically just steers the sail plan.
Regarding the statement, "... it's difficult to get past 25 degrees of heal. I've only gotten to 45 degrees once for a second or two and I've tried really really hard..." I would urge the OP to not try so hard. Excessive heel is slow. Try sailing at 15 degrees of heel or less. The helm should be near neutral. If you are fighting the helm free the sheets until the sail luffs and then trim in a little.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would replace the sail with signs of the most aged cloth. While bagginess is a trim issue as the cloth stretches, the age of the cloth ( thinning, pigment change, tears, chafe etc.) are signs of wear. That would prioritize my action. This usually means the Main sail, but not always.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. Pictures.
b. Sometimes REALLY hauling on the downhaul/Cunningham can pull the draft forward and get a little more use. But yeah ....

Also, if you are sailing jib-only in a breeze because you fear going on deck, you are also sailing with a very poorly balanced sail plan. You should have a reefed main and some jib. As for risk, that is a matter of good rigging and moving methodically. Not dangerous. Sailing jib-only is more of a problem IMO, because of the poor handling and excess stress on the jib.

Being comfortable on deck is a central part of sailing. Planned movement. Sometimes jacklines.