Replace life lines

TLW

Jan 15, 2013
Oday 31 Whitehall, MI
You can also do this yourself if you will accept nico-press swages.

Jan 6, 2010
I replaced mine with JSI made lines. These are 316 S.S. without any coating. They will not discolor or rust. Don't get 304 S.S. as they have too much carbon steel in the mix that WILL cause rusting especially at the swage fittings.

CR

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I am real happy with the white coated kit I got from Catalina direct. Compared with others places and the price was just a little bit more but everything was included.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I'm with you on that one Doug. I kinda like the white plastic vinyl coating still, because it gives you some protection from meat hooks in exposed cable. I know the thought that the plastic can hide or harbor corrosion, but the exposed wire just looks like it would hurt like hell if you fall against it. I also installed the padded foam covers over our upper lifelines around the cockpit. We don't hike over the rails much, but its nice to have some extra padding where you lean on. ;)

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
I just replaced my lifelines and used the white coated wire as well. I used a local heavy equipment company to do the swages. They turned out great and it was fairly inexpensive and made the boat look great. While doing this I reversed the gates on starboard and port sides so I can board boat easier. The newer model pelicans work perfect, I should have changed them out years ago.

Also, replaced rub rail since I was working the perimeter of the boat.

Take care!

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
The 2013-2016 ISAF rule book now allows 5 mm Dyneema as life lines. Most serious racing machines use that.