Repeat Sailing Vacation- high expectations.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
But can I deliver? Trying to repeat last year's Sailing Vacation. Same lake. Have the same camping site. Hopes are very high. Down to crunch time with boat prep. Still waiting for the Bimini to arrive. Hopefully if will get here before we need to leave, and hope it fits. Just finished sand blasting the centerboard. Painted with cold galvanizing paint. Fathers day, I had an engine failure, which ruined the whole outing. Although I fixed it (stuck float), the next time I used it, ran for about 5 minutes and stalled. I've gone out on a limb, and boat an 86 # thrust trolling motor. I have no idea how it will work, but from everything I've read, it should equal about 3.5 HP outboard. The only reports I have read is about one sailboat that is 30% heavier than mine, who was able to hold 4 knots for 6 miles with a 40# thrust. Then there is a Mac 25 who could run just over 3 knots with a 55 # thrust. So I hope to do OK with the 86# on a boat that only weighs 1600#. I still have to wire it up. Then the boat desperately needs a good scrubbing. I think that is all the boat needs. Then there is the motorhome. It hasn't been driven in 7 months. I had it out the other day, and it seems OK, but its a 28 year old coach, so surprises can lurk. We're leaving in 4 days and i'm just a bit anxious about how everything is going to work out. Last year the family went from hating Sailing to loving it, so the pressure for a repeat is on!

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
"If it is going to happen, it is going to happen out there" Captin Ron

We are in similar situation this week. Nobody make family memories sitting on the couch watching tv. Get out and experience them.

God's Speed and fair winds

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Do not look at it in any other way than a huge success. Power of the mind, mate. Don't jinx yourself..

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Daveinet, so where is your desination?

Hey Scott, what's happening with your slip over at Windlass? Sunday was a zoo over at Lee's Park. I've NEVER seen the park filled with cars and trailers like it was. It looks like a power boat capsized and caused some excitement.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I assume your motor is an outboard? It sounds like the problem I was having. Nothing a good carb cleaning and a kit can't solve. Also check your fuel pump and clean/gap your plugs. Run some Sea Foam in your tank too. That stuff is great. Could be some junk in your tank too.

Sep 20, 2014
Yes, I probably should grab some seafoam. The motor eventually ran again after sitting for a few hours. I will still have the motor in the boat, as a back up. Its tucked away under the cockpit. Fuel tank is drained and carb is empty.

We are headed to Carlyle Reservoir in Southern IL. Winds are expected to peak 6 mph. Temps peaking 90. Winds out of the Southeast. Not particularly encouraging. I've tried to put some effort into making this boat sail better faster. Without wind, that effort maybe in vain.

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
They had promised by Memorial Day and that came and went. We were kind of thinking their would not be slips this year. We chose not to launch this year. We are heading up to Blue Hill Bay in ME for a couple of weeks of sailing. We are very excited and also more than a bit nervous about the fog, currents, tides and rocks. I have sat on the shores around Acadia my whole life and watched the boats sail by wishing I was one of them.
So I beleive the boat is ready and my wife and I have aquired enough skill and experience to do this without making the newspaper or dying. "If it is going to happen it is going to happen out there"
Will post our adventures/misadventures when we get home.
Hope you and your family are well.

Sep 20, 2014
Thanks,

Say, does anyone have ideas about cutting a hole in the top of the Bimini for the backstay to poke through? What do you seal the hole with so the threads don't unravel?

BTY: I order the Bimini Saturday morning. I was hoping to get it before the weekend. It arrived today! So that is encouraging.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Thanks,

Say, does anyone have ideas about cutting a hole in the top of the Bimini for the backstay to poke through? What do you seal the hole with so the threads don't unravel?

BTY: I order the Bimini Saturday morning. I was hoping to get it before the weekend. It arrived today! So that is encouraging.
Ahem. Those holes are usually hemmed.

You might be able to use a hot glue gun to help keep the cutout from unravelling, then apply your hem over the glue job.

Good luck.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Sailrite has a video on their website about how a split for the backstay is done the right way. It isn't that hard to do.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... anyone have ideas about cutting a hole in the top of the Bimini for the backstay to poke through? What do you seal the hole with so the threads don't unravel? ....
Use a low-wattage pencil-type soldering iron to melt a hole. That will melt the threads together for a starter.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If you want to remove the bimini without disconnecting the backstay, you will need to install a slot in the right location with a zippered opening. For my split backstay, there are 2 zippered openings on the bimini. The hemmed holes at the termination of the zipper are in the correct location for a static position of the split stays. However, now that I adjust the backstay tension, the split stays pinch the openings when tensioning the stays. This calls for additional fitting of the bimini to accommodate the range of backstay settings.

I generally don't like sailing with the bimini. I would guess that a trip to southern Illinois in July / early August requires it. The sun will be brutal. We've had seasons when I couldn't live without it, but amazingly, we have had 3 summers in a row (well, this summer isn't over, yet) without need for it. It has been gathering dust in the basement and I don't mind.

Sep 20, 2014
Trolling motor saves the day. The first 2 days out, winds have peaked 3 knots. The temperature of the WATER has been 88 to 90 degrees, depending on where you are in the lake. Just unbelievably hot for IL. So with no wind we have motored a hole bunch. I bought one of those 86lbs thrust trolling motors on EBay. It is working out very well. Being able to cruise silently around the lake has much of the same affect as sailing. Top speed is about 4 mph, but it runs that speed even in the medium setting. I don't think the prop is aggressive enough, but it works. We've been out for 2 days doing a lot of motoring, and battery meter still showed full charge. I may need to measure the actual voltage to confirm. However either way, the trolling motor is probably the second best addition second to the Bimini. The ease of just turning a knob to move is just the cats meow. So much easier to control than a gas engine. At this point I would strongly recommend it for any inland lake. Being able to set up an outboard for less than 500 bucks is not bad either just purely from a cost perspective. Because of its size, I can turn it dead sideways and bring the stern right up to the dock. Not only would may gas engine not rotate in the engine well, but it would be too hard to control for that purpose. Of course DW likes it because she could not start the gas engine, let alone drop it down into the well. I think we are much safer having it.