Repairing crack on deck

Aug 16, 2017
Hunter 36 Keyport, NJ
I have a Hunter 36, and shortly after purchase a crack developed on the deck, about 6 inches forward of the mast. Have sealed the crack with epoxy, but need to address the underlying problem. Has anybody had a similar experience? And has anyone repaired their deck in these area and have insights to share? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
its hard to know what the underlying problem is from pictures - could be a number of causes. If it’s a stress crack, the rigging could be too tight or too loose, the mast step could have depressed with mast post degradation, etc…

you might want to have it inspected.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Was something mounted in the lighter coloured are or am I just reading something into it where nothing exists.

Crack.jpg

Only other thing I can take a wild stab at is the compression post. Is it fully doing it's job ?

Have sealed the crack with epoxy, but need to address the underlying problem.
As you say, without solving the underlying problem that crack repair will become an annual event.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You could pour some water around the mast step to see if it pools. If it pools then you may have a depressed mast step which would require further repair. If the water drains from the mast area I would judge it as less of a problem.
Another sign of mast step compression would be rigging turnbuckles that are past the mid-thread position. That can be a sign that PO's have had to tighten the rig as the mast step deforms.
I would monitor your epoxy repair (Which will deteriorate from UV without get coat or paint), check your rigging tensions and sound the deck to see if there is dampness in the core. And check nearby deck hardware for sealing out leaks. If the core is damp or worse you should drop the mast next lay up and check/reseal mast step at the least. Obviously the deck sees considerable compression at the mast step and weakness in that area won't have a good outcome.

• Helpful
Aug 16, 2017
Hunter 36 Keyport, NJ
Thank you for your replies. Ralph, you were reading too much into the lighter shading. Probably due to camera angle.

As for a depressed mast step, will try the "pooling water" test.

Regardless, the deck does have moisture and will need to be opened up and fixed. That will require stepping the mast and re-rigging it at which point will make the rigging is tuned correctly.