Repair this mast?

Jul 1, 2018
Macgregor 25 New London
Hi guys. My buddy and I just purchased our first sailboat together. Its an early 80's Macgregor 25. When looking at the mast it did not seem that bad but I believe we need some opinions on what to do with it. The previous owner says it was like this when he got it and it was not that bad, he had the boat for about 12 years. The rest of the boat seems pretty good. To me it looks worse in the picture than in person. I don't want to try to hammer it strait due to the sharp angle of the bend and risk of cracking it. The damage only goes up to about where the bolt hole is. What are our options for repair?

bent mast.jpg bent mast 2.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It looks like someone has tried to reinforce the mast where the bend is. Notice the extra piece of aluminum near the bend that is not on the other side.

A sailboat mast has a lot of pressure on it and they are designed to support those loads so long as the mast is in column. Once something causes the mast to go out of column, it will collapse.

To see the effects, try this little experiment. Take a can of cold beer, drink the beer. Place the empty can on a firm flat surface, carefully place one foot on the can and then stand on it. Keep your weight directly over the can. It will support your weight. If you are young nimble and agile, take a pen bend down and tap the side of the can with the pen. The can will collapse because of the very slight deformation in the sides of the can caused by the pen. (If you are not young, nimble, and agile, have someone else tap the can).

Basically the same thing happens with a mast, so long as everything is aligned and intact the mast stays up. In the examples I've given the assumption is that the deformation happens further up the column, so that column (mast or beer can) can fold on both sides of the deformation. In your example the deformation is at the bottom of the mast and is oriented vertically not horizontally, thus it may not affect the structural integrity as much as a deformation further up the mast.

Aluminum will work harden and crack pretty quickly, so I would be cautious about hammering back into column, doing so could significantly weaken the mast and crack the aluminum.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Draw a boarder around the deformation with a permanent marker. Watch it! If the deformation does not get worse then keep sailing.

In the meantime... keep your eye on Craigslist and eBay for a badly neglected Mac25. Buy it for a few hundred dollars and strip all of the parts off and keep them in your shed for later repairs. Sell the hull for $100 on craigslist

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I see no reason for not to believe what the PO says. The damage does not look that bad and seems contained to below the bolt hole. I don't see any cracks and if it worked for 12+ years I see no reason why it would not work for another 12. I would not try to straighten the metal as it could crack and doubt it would straighten much. a proper repair would be to cut away the damaged section and substitute with a good piece. The joint can be made with a plug and welding to maintain the sail track. Unless there was a problems for the mast to stand up straight or problem to tune the rig I would leave it as is and continue to use it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
To see the effects, try this little experiment. Take a can of cold beer, drink the beer. Place the empty can on a firm flat surface, carefully place one foot on the can and then stand on it. Keep your weight directly over the can. It will support your weight. If you are young nimble and agile, take a pen bend down and tap the side of the can with the pen. The can will collapse because of the very slight deformation in the sides of the can caused by the pen. (If you are not young, nimble, and agile, have someone else tap the can).
I'll take your word for it....sounds like a party game rather than a science experiment.:biggrin:

Jul 1, 2018
Macgregor 25 New London
Thanks for your reply's I will trace the profile and keep an eye on it.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
You could consider cutting off the damaged part of the mast and shortening the rigging...
might be a bit drastic, but depending on the overall age of the boat, it may be time to replace the standing rigging anyway. Then there ‘s always the budget to consider.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Another option would be to go ahead and straighten it.. it probably will crack.. take it to a good welding shop and have them carefully weld up the crack.. cost would be minimal..

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
You could consider cutting off the damaged part of the mast and shortening the rigging...
might be a bit drastic, but depending on the overall age of the boat, it may be time to replace the standing rigging anyway. Then there ‘s always the budget to consider.

This would be my suggestion. but add a step to make up the difference. if you cut off 10", make support footers 10" to make the rig the same, and no need to cut sails.

also there is a bottom plug for the mast. see if you can find one. you might be able to coax that back in.

Jul 1, 2018
Macgregor 25 New London
I did consider cutting it since the damage is only about an inch up. I seen a metal sleeve that would slide over it all and rivets on to protect the bottom made for other boats. We only payed $500 for the boat and its needs mostly cosmetic work and minor fixes. Besides a motor and lines. We can spend some money to make the mast right if we need to. Ill look into finding the right bottom plug. Thanks for all the info.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
There are a few ways to fix this:
Weld on a fix.
Shorten the rig.
Or...It is easy to buy a similar mast and rig it to fit your boat. Mac did not make that mast. It is available on a dozen boats.
You could even weld on a segment to replace the bent segment.