Repair Seldon Rodkiker Vang

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Hi - I have the above, and the top bushing is broken and represents a pinch hazard (see picture) The replacement part was inexpensive and available, but I am having trouble figuring out how to replace it. At first it looked like a simple job disconnect the top from the boom, slide the sections out, slip a new one and a finished. Nothing for me is that simple - it seems like the cable to the pulley won;t fit through the top mount (see picture 2). It would appear that the splice needs to be removed - the cable run through, repair made, cable slipped back through and re-spliced - more than I am comfortable with - suggestions beyond finding a rigger ?

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
just trim off the top part of bushing and fit it back in the tube. Btw do you have the gas spring? Your rodkicker seems to bottom out.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 41 Longport,NJ
Great idea - will do - nice lean dremel cut should do it. Don;t know about the gas spring actually - never took it apart - is it supposed to be pushing up more ?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
If I recall correctly, one of the ends (the bottom end) is riveted in place and when you disassemble (drill out the rivets) the end of the cable inside the extrusion is hooked in place. Once that end is apart, the whole assembly will come apart. The top section has that "push button" plastic thing to release it. And, in the process you can take out the "shock absorber" and determine which degree of stiffness it has. If yours is bottoming out, one of two things, either the shock is not stiff enough (boom with sail piled on it is too heavy for the shock) or your attachment of the top end along the bottom of the boom is too close to the mast, or both. I think if you look on Selden's website you can find a parts explosion of that which should show you how it all goes together. Or, email them for the installation instructions which I think has the images of the assembly. You should not have to monkey with the swaged loops.

Here is the link: http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1452671512/595-073-SET.pdf

Last edited: