Repair or replace main halyards?

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1976 Catalina 22 and have some questions:

1. I have noticed that the Main Halyard's outer sheath of the rope section is torn and only the inner sheath or core of the rope is intact. I would like to replace it, but it appears the only way to do so is by replacing the complete halyard and sheaves via the following CatalinaDirect halyard and sheaves kit:

www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product...ne--sheaves-c-22.cfm

I assume the alternate would be to splice new line into the halyard cable, but that looks like it takes some talent and skill. Does it look hard than it is, or should I do the complete halyard and sheaves replacement?

Any help, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Snoopy_

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
it's not the only way to do it but if your lines are chafed that bad, maybe you need the new sheaves too. The C22 folks will chime in.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Unless you remember Ronald Reagan as President, boats had stopped using wire halyards before you were born. And for good reason. That setup that CD is offering (line + new sheaves) is a good deal. But you will probably have to drop the mast to replace them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the DIY plan is your focus you have several options.
  1. Learn to do a wire to rope halyard splice, replacing the only halyard with new.
  2. discover what is cause of chafing (assuming it is not just old age of rope) and replace/repair
  3. change to rope halyards. Then new ropes are much better than the wire/rope idea of the 70's. May require new sheaves with a rope "U" grove. If, as I would suspect, your sheaves have a the U-V design the U part is designed to handle rope and the inner V is for the wire. You can take the sheave and with the right tools modify the sheave to have a U shape. Or buy replacement sheaves and call it good.
I went to the all rope halyards this year and would not go back. Besides the look cool.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Do you have an actual splice at the wire to rope transition? Most have a eye in the end of the wire halyard and a rope (halyard) knotted thru a shackle or actually thru the eye ?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do you have an actual splice at the wire to rope transition? Most have a eye in the end of the wire halyard and a rope (halyard) knotted thru a shackle or actually thru the eye ?
That would be the original halyard form the 70's.... you don't want a halyard that old no matter how it's configured.
Another alternative, one that I use on my boat, is to replace with a "tapered halyard" which would not require any change of sheaves.

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Thanks to all, I decided to order the new rope halyards and replace the sheaves.
This boat I purchased was in rough shape, so it makes sense to replace and upgrade.
Here is a photo of the halyard roping as an example of how rough it currently is: