repair or reconfigure mast-keel step vs. compression post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2010
Ericson 35 Dayton, Montana
How do you repair a cracked mast step mount on the cabin top above a compression post ? Is it possible to add an extension to the mast and keel step it instead ?

Attachments

Jun 12, 2010
I can`t figure out how to add a picture or two to this one, but I have some more shots of the problem.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I can`t figure out how to add a picture or two to this one, but I have some more shots of the problem.
This site software is the same as we use at Ericsonyachts.org.
You should be able to post up to five pics, but limit the pixels to 800 in either direction. (Admin. here could have set different posting limits, tho.)

Try your question over at the main E-owners site, too. Is your boat an Ericson 35 Mk2? What year?

Best,
L

Jun 12, 2010
It is a 1972... The former owner said it was originally owned by the US Naval Academy then sold to a sailing school in Calif.... Marina Del Rey...then up here to Montana... I will check out the other sites.... Thanks, Any information is always helpful ....Ken

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
this is a relatively easy repair--my neighbors did it for less than 2k in san diego where everything is more expensive than anywhere else in boating..lol....the dish / step for the mast corrodes and swells cracking the hull---go get the dish replaced and have a great boat!!!!! myneighbors replaced the aluminum dish with stainless steel lol..now they have a consideration oif dissimilar metals to consider......aluminum lasted 28 yrs--why not just replace with same?? why reconfigure the boat making the mast much more expensive--will need to be replaced if keel stepped--is too short for that--needs the length of the cabin house roof to the keel added to what you already have------just replace the dish, reglass and possibly recore at the places where the water has been..inject the rest with epoxies and finish the houseroof and be done with it?/ the neighbors did that for less than 2000 us dollars at knight and carver .......

mine should be ready for this soon--is a tad newer at 1979......

Status
Not open for further replies.