Repair of storage compartment

May 7, 2016
The previous owner of my Capri 22, hull number 515, had attempted a repair of the lip of the starboard storage locker. I assume that someone large sat down or fell down on the locker and fractured the fiberglass lip on the inboard side. The crude fix consisted of gluing a thick wooden batten to the fiberglass lip with some unknown putty or caulk. The boat is otherwise sound and I bought it thinking to make a better repair. I have thought of making a similar repair with a suitable substance. My other idea is to bisect the locker with a wooden or Starboard brace of about 1/2 inch thickness running athwart ship which is curved to fit between the starboard hull and the inboard side. My dilemma is which material is suitable for the repair. Any suggestions? (beyond taking it to a professional) Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Picture please of the area in question. That will make answering a lot easier.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
The starboard locker medial edge on #281 was weak when I purchased it in 2008. I notice is mostly when the cushion is not there and I am crawling back to do maintenance. Basically I have been tolerating it but do want to find a solution. Most likely I will be making the repair this Spring while making a few other changes/repairs.

The port locker medial edge does not have the problem. I suspect that the starboard locker may have received a "little less" fiberglass during manufacturing and then add the possibility that people may tend to sit on the starboard seat more frequently.

To make a proper repair, the inside of the "lip" will need to be reinforced. I am planning on preparing the inner surface, then apply several layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy from the lip back past the vertical portion an equal amount. The "lip" will need to be temporarily pushed up so the final surface will be flat.

May 7, 2016
The plan I envisioned for repairing the starboard locker of my Capri 22 is very similar to the that mentioned by JEPomer. Thanks for providing the validition to proceed with the repair.