Repair around Cutless Bearing

seagle

Dec 9, 2011
Hunter Legend Bradenton
I just bought a 1980 Bristol 40 Sloop. It is located at Merritt Island Florida. I need to have the area around the Cutless Bearing repaired, (see photos). Does anyone know how to repair this and how extensive (expensive) this repair is?
BED39819-1603-4C4C-BBAA-F83ECC88757A.jpeg
44C628BE-0BAF-4E62-9584-675F3089754A.jpeg
F8A74F55-D9D5-497D-8B5D-8B56B3EAD779.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like someone tried to repair it before without permanent success.
Proper repair would necessitate removal of all the current material. Looks like the sea creatures hav developed a home in the fiberglass.
Then properly rebuild the fiberglass.
Drill a proper hole for the cutlass bearing - fit and angle are critical.
Then finish the area fair.
It will be time in the yard, skilled labor, and material expenses.

A SWAG would be $10,000. But who knows. could be a lot more dependent on what is found as you clean the area up.
Your going to have some shaft/engine alignment issues to address as the project matures.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
fixing that little chip and some gelcoat repair, 10,000? i would have never guessed that much. so i won't guess.

my cutless bearing goes into a heavy bronze tube glassed and screwed and 5200 into the keel. not into a hole drilled in the glass.

close friend has a bristol 40. love that boat

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm wondering how the original damage occurred. Someone to aggressive trying to remove/install the cutless bearing perhaps?

To do the repair:

1. Remove shaft
  2. Grind the old repair off
  3. Evict the critters living there
  4. Assess actual damage: There may be more hiding under the old repair
  5. Properly repair the damage with glass, epoxy, and fairing compound
  6. Remove and replace the cutless bearing
  7. Install shaft and align motor (might want to have the shaft and coupling fit and faced while it is out as well as clean up the prop)
  8. Barrier coat repair area
  9. Bottom paint
The prep is going to be extensive. It will probably be necessary to grid back between 6 and 12 inches depending on the thickness of the hull at the shaft exit.

Material cost will be low a few hundred dollars. Labor costs will be high.