Repainting pedestal base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
The paint at base of my Whitlock/Edson pedestal has a sizeable piece chip off. I intend to scrap off loose paint and sand it and flair the good paint. Question is do I apply primer, grey or red oxide on the bear metal (aluminium?), before using a can of spray paint.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Aluminum is difficult to paint because when exposed to air an oxide forms almost immediately that interferes with paint adhesion. There are "pickling" (acid) solutions that will etch the surface, removing the oxide, and then a special primer is applied quickly; or a conversion coating is formed first, like duPont Alodyne, that will accept paint. If you want this to last you should do some research on painting aluminum.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
The paint at base of my Whitlock/Edson pedestal has a sizeable piece chip off. I intend to scrap off loose paint and sand it and flair the good paint. Question is do I apply primer, grey or red oxide on the bear metal (aluminium?), before using a can of spray paint.
Ken, I had the same problem so I did the obvious, scrape the base then sand lightly and then I spray painted using a can of Krylon paint. It dries in 10 minutes so you can recoat rapidly. Did the pedestal from the base up to the compass ! Didn't use any primer but did remove the wheel and also masked where needed. Paint was still in good shape after 3 years, but it had received dings and small scratches so I re-did it again this year. Takes less than 1 hour to do the whole thing with 3 coats, including waiting drying time between coats (good beer time if so inclined).

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
I redid mine about 4 years ago with Interlux Brightside and a brush....after a good sanding I filled some of the dings and areas where the paint peeled with some fairing compound and the final finish looked great.....I need to do this again next spring

Oct 29, 2005
Good info guys. ClaudeL, i suppose Krylon is the brand of spray paint?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Hi Ken,

I painted my pedestal as well. After a good sanding I used a water based aluminum primer from the hardware store. I brushed on a couple of coats and sanded very lightly to make it even. I then brushed on a single component solvent based urethane topcoat. It leveled really well with very light brush strokes. I just sanded ever so carefully between coats 2 and 3 and it looks very good. For me, I avoided the spray paints as I would have to mask off too much to protect from the overspray. The brush was easier to get into tight places. Remaining wet for a while allowed the paint to level. For speed the spray paint does work, but I still recommend a primer for aluminum as it will last longer.

Good luck.

Allan

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
Allan, I source for similar primer. Was afraid hand painting will leave lines. So after coat 2 drys, do you wet sand?

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
If you wait 24 hours, you will have to wet sand it to get your mechanical bond. If you're spraying and painting something large and come back around for coat two or three whatever, then you end up with a chemical bond. You'll probably want to slick out a few brush strokes anyway.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Ken,

After the second coat of primer I dry sanded with 600 grit paper very lightly. If there were any lines left the first two coats of urethane paint seemed to fill them. Then I sanded to remove the brush marks in the paint before the final coat. It comes out pretty good after the third coat. Granted its not like a finish on a car, but with all the imperfections in the aluminum anyway, its smooth and glossy.

Allan

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Hi Ken,

I painted my pedestal as well. After a good sanding I used a water based aluminum primer from the hardware store. I brushed on a couple of coats and sanded very lightly to make it even. I then brushed on a single component solvent based urethane topcoat. It leveled really well with very light brush strokes. I just sanded ever so carefully between coats 2 and 3 and it looks very good. For me, I avoided the spray paints as I would have to mask off too much to protect from the overspray. The brush was easier to get into tight places. Remaining wet for a while allowed the paint to level. For speed the spray paint does work, but I still recommend a primer for aluminum as it will last longer.

Good luck.

Allan
I used the very same primer. It's flawless after 3 years. You will not buy a better product a many times the price. Be sure to get all the corrosion off prior to priming.

Status
Not open for further replies.