Rental tools

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I'm thinking I'm going to have to change my cutlass bearing and I'm shocked by the price of the tool. I'm not shocked at the price the yard wants for the work but at $90 an hour I could save myself $270 bucks plus double for the part if I has access to the tool. This brings me to my subject. It seems sailboat owners on occasion have need for specialized tools. I'm wondering why there isn't a site where you could rent the tool for a week. It seems there could be a number of devices one could use, like I said, a cutlass bearing remover, prop puller, shroud tension gauge. I imagine there are some others like maybe satellite phones for special trips etc. There could even be a membership fee for users in addition to the rental and shipping fees. If I were younger I might think of talking to some friends to get it started. Then again they might convince me it's a stupid idea.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Or you could do what I do with some special tools. Buy them and then sell them when you are done. Whatever markdown you have to make to sell them would still be less out of pocket than paying someone to do the job. Even if you could rent, the clock is ticking. I find it much easier to own and take my time to do it right. Then sell. I also don't loan expensive tools, especially blades for fear of receiving them back damaged. I don't want to ruin a friendship over a tool.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
What if Colonel Sanders said, 'If I were younger, I could fry a lot of delicious chicken'? We'd be licking our fingers for no reason at all!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
What if Colonel Sanders said, 'If I were younger, I could fry a lot of delicious chicken'? We'd be licking our fingers for no reason at all!
Hopefully, the point here is, if you are gonna do something, do it now and do it right... so you arent setting around later having regrets:biggrin:

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Let us know when you get the tool rental business going. I need to reserve the prop puller.