Renogy

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Pretty open ended question/discussion.

I would not generally use a Renogy solar controller. Why?
1. I have only used one of their PWM controllers before and was underwhelmed.
2. Victron controllers are so good and not expensive enough for me to go looking for something else.
3. They traditionally (particularly with the PWM stuff) had the look and feel of CheapChineseCrap.

They definitely have been moving upscale over the last few years. I note a large effort marketing LiFePo batteries. The inverter-chargers look interesting and price competitive. I also note they're marketing some Midnite Solar stuff.

Home somebody else chimes in with more recent experience.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Other than the 2 day shipping turning into 4 months (actually a Purolator issue), I have been cautiously satisfied with their 175W flexible panel. Compared to the various 5 Gioco flexible panels that I had received under warranty over the past 5 years I'd give the Renogy panel a thumbs up.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific, I am looking for opinions on their LiFePo4 batteries.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
As a professional Marine electrical business would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. we used to think Xantrex was bad. the failure rate on these products is higher than anything we seen in the last 30 years. oh and just to amuse yourself try calling them and asking them a tech support question..their tech support is worse than the product reliability. we used to allow customers to supply their own products with the stipulation that they're on the hook for warranty. We actually had to start refusing to install anything made by Renogy..

You can read this too..Renogy is rated "Poor" with 1.9 / 5 on Trustpilot

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Customer support is often a joke. Years ago, my wife wanted to go back to work after our kids were mostly grown. She went to a hiring agency and confessed that she had never used a computer and did not even know what a mouse was and could they find her something to do despite that handicap. They said no problem and sent her to a job where she was a customer service representative who answered telephone help calls for a computer software company! She quit the first day. Think about that when you call for help on a customer support line.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I have no expereince with Renogy batteries. But I have purchased several other componants made by them including a DC to DC charger, solar panels and an MPPT controller. All have worked satisfactory.

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
We purchased four 100 watt semi-flexible panels and an MPPT controller from Renogy two years ago. the panels are still working fine, but the controller only lasted for about a year and a half. We replaced it with a Victron. The Victron unit is a lot heavier and seems more robust.