Removing Window Trim Rings 2006 Hunter 33

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
On my 2006 Hunter 33 the exterior cabin windows (Not Ports) have a silver trim ring secured with large head screws on each end. My question is are these rings easily removed. I have a small leak in one of the windows which the previous owner did not attened to. I would like to repair the leak, and inspect the sealing of all the windows on the boat. I see no interior water damage but want to be sure all is sealed.

Thanks

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Are you refering to the long windows on the cabin sides? The "silver ring" is actually paint on the plexiglass itself. I thought the same thing until I pulled one of mine off couple weeks ago due to a leak.

Take out the screws and use a rigid putty knife to carefully break the seal between the window and fibreglass. Work slowly around the window and it will come off. Remove all the old caulking with a plastic scraper and then celan with acetone. Wash down with water and I applied two rows of caulking around the window.
To make clean up much easier use blue painters tape to mask out the window area and run the tape around the window edge.
Mask out the interior trim to the window and even on the interior of the window itself.
When you put the window back on the caulking should squeeze out but not too much, make sure you have an even coating all around the window.

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
Are you refering to the long windows on the cabin sides? The "silver ring" is actually paint on the plexiglass itself. I thought the same thing until I pulled one of mine off couple weeks ago due to a leak.
Scott yes it is the side cabin windows. Thanks for the information on how to make the repair, it will make it a lot easier.

Jim

Sep 20, 2006
Scott yes it is the side cabin windows. Thanks for the information on how to make the repair, it will make it a lot easier.

Jim
Glad I could help. The tape really helps to keep the caulking from spreading and makes clean up much easier. I used multiple short pieces to go around the curved ends. I scaped away the excess squeeze out then pulled the tape off. Good luck.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter reccomends Dow 795.

I used 4200, that's all I could get at the time from the marina. We'll see how it holds up this year. If it doesn't, it won't take long to do again, since I know all the tricks now.

This pdf is from Hunter. Use the directions for the framed hacth or port. The side ports do not have a lip in the fibreglass, it is flush.

Attachments