Removing Vinyl Decals from Hypalon Inflatable Dinghy

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am in the process of removing the dinghy name, registration numbers and state sticker from both sides of a newly acquired hypalon rib inflatable dinghy . I am having some success with two adhesive removers - Debond MF12 Marine Formula Aerosol ($41) and AlbaChem Vinyl Letter Remover (VLR) Solvent No. 1020 ($23) and a plastic putty knife. The former appears to work the best. This is very tedious work as after 4+ hours only 33% of the decals have been removed. Next week I will try Rapid Remover Vinyl Letter Remover and a hair dryer.

What have others found that works the best to remove vinyl decals from an inflatable?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A hair drier? Personally, I think the possibility doing some real damage to the dink with all those chemicals (and a hair drier) are not worth the risk. Just put your new numbers on a plexi board and hang it over the old, until the old fades or peels on its own.
If you are doing this because of the water LEOs, have you ever been stopped by them in your dinghy?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
A hair drier? Personally, I think the possibility doing some real damage to the dink with all those chemicals (and a hair drier) are not worth the rish. Just put your new numbers on a plexi board and hang it over the old, until the old fades or peels on its own.
If you are doing this because of the water LEOs, have you ever been stopped by them in your dinghy?
I have towed and carried a dinghy for about 40 years without ever being stopped or questioned by any LEO concerning the dink.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have towed and carried a dinghy for about 40 years without ever being stopped or questioned by any LEO concerning the dink.
I have. Anchored in Annapolis, with Texas registration. Had a bow cover on and within 15 minutes the harboir patrol was there- making un cover the numbers

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have. Anchored in Annapolis, with Texas registration. Had a bow cover on and within 15 minutes the harboir patrol was there- making un cover the numbers
That's exactly the sort of water LEO I hate. After he's seen them, what's the point of having them uncovered?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Having improper numbers on the dinghy may not draw a LEO's attention, however, in the event something happens or someone gets a burr in their saddle having the wrong numbers or no numbers is just one more thing they can cite you for.

To @capta's concern about overheating the hypalon, the hair dryer should be used to warm the numbers just enough to soften the glue.

Feb 21, 2013
..............Personally, I think the possibility doing some real damage to the dink with all those chemicals (and a hair drier) are not worth the risk. Just put your new numbers on a plexi board and hang it over the old, until the old fades or peels on its own. If you are doing this because of the water LEOs, have you ever been stopped by them in your dinghy?
The risk of damage to the hypalon fabric from these chemicals so far seems nil and prior to applying Debond MF12 Marine Formula Aerosol the product's president confirmed the product would not damage the fabric. I like your idea of putting new numbers on a plexi board!! To answer your question..........I am not removing decals because of the water LEOs.......heck I do not even know who they are......I am simply removing the nearly 5 feet of decals along each side to restore the 11 year old dinghy to as close to new condition as I can and remove the PO's boat name (Fifth Quarter) and out of state registration numbers and stickers. Heck the PO lost or removed the West Marine RIB emblems from each side........West Marine is sending me new ones at not cost....... and the PO's fiberglass oars were nearly shredded and hidden from view during the boat survey......just replaced them.

Feb 21, 2013
Update..........now 50% removed and found comparable success with Rapid Remover Vinyl Letter Remover Spray at ~1/2 the cost of Debond MF12 Marine Formula Aerosol, both without hair dryer to soften the vinyl.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Had a similar situation with the used Avon that I purchased a few years ago. It had registration decals on each side that I wanted to remove. Rather than use an assortment of chemicals, I instead used a large pair of pliers, grabbed one end of the decal and rolled it off. It came off with some effort, but without any damage to the fabric. Then I sanded the hypalon glue residue away, but it still left a mark.

Feb 21, 2013
..........Rather than use an assortment of chemicals, I instead used a large pair of pliers, grabbed one end of the decal and rolled it off................Then I sanded the hypalon glue residue away................
Thanks..............I will try that suggestion WITHOUT CHEMICALS.

Feb 21, 2013
Update.....pliers did not work.....now 67% removed using Debond MF12 Marine Formula Aerosol ($41 for 12 ounce) and Rapid Remover Vinyl Letter Remover ($28 for 32 ounce). Both products seem to work the same. Key is to use a new sharp plastic putty knife. Hoping to remove the balance over the next 2 days.

And to capta's suggestion I purchased two 3.5 x 24 x 1/4 inch white plastic acrylic sheets to attach registration number, year and mussel stickers with holes to attach lines to tie off on the boat.

Feb 21, 2013
Success!!..............the remaining 33% vinyl letters were easily and quickly removed with Debond MF12 Marine Formula Aerosol (12 ounce for $41) and Rapid Remover Vinyl Letter Remover (32 ounce for $28). I found the key is to use a "sharp" plastic putty scraper ($2 each from ACE) after repeated soaking the decals with the chemical. Please note a plastic putty scraper did not tear the hypalon fabric.