Removing the Sole Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Mauney

I have an O'Day 35 with apparently glued in teak and holly plywood sole. It is gotten so beat up during a long period of history and refitting that I need to replace it. I know it is possible to put new plywood over it but I also want to find out what is involved in removing and replacing it. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the process of removing these large pieces of plywood with minumum damage to the underlying gelcoat and fiberglass. Thanks Dave s/v DAMWEGAS

D

Dave

Floorboards in O'Day 35

Dave, How are you? Did you move to Oriental? Last time we talked you were in the Chesapeake region? Last year I decided to refinish my floorboards and wanted to remove them for sanding. I found the same problem, they are apparently glued in place. I ended up sanding them in place and then used a polyurethane to finish them. The poly fills in small dents and stuff so you don't need to be that fussy with the sanding. Two coats and the floor looks like new unless you look really close. No idea how to actually remove the wood without serious destructive activity. I used Armada high gloss. Let me know if you find out more. Dave

D

Dave Mauney

Hi Dave

Doing fine. We got all moved down and are really enjoying it. A real sailing and boating community down here. Comming down we had an altetcation with a rock bottom in heavy weather in The Bay and bent the rudder to no functional. With a local haulout we got the rudder straightened and repaired and continued on. All in all a good trip and a great experience down the ICW. We have just splashed the boat this week after a refit to reseal the keel joint. I was getting corrosion on the keel bolts from bilge water and when we pulled her wound a rust stain on the outside to the lead keel. We dropped the keep cleaned and re 5200ed the joint. O'Day had not used a lot of sealent it turned out. Only a couple of partial threads corroded away. I have also encapsulated the keel bolts and feel much better about that problem. On the sole boards I am considering doing what you did. I appreciate knowing about Armada. The other idea I have gotten is to laminate down some thinner teak and holly sole, about 1/4 or 3/8 on to what I have since it not rotted, just dented pretty bad. The denting does give it character so I am in a debate. The short term project is to clean the whole inside of the boat and spray with KO because we have been fighting an odor problem for a while. I have stripped the hose and the holding tank and MSD and will put new Sealand hose with a new holding tank in. Dumping the MSD processed waste directly over and using the holding tank as backup only has made quite a difference already. Any ideas would be appreciated. Good to share with you. Good Winds Dave s/v DAMWEGAS

Status
Not open for further replies.