Removing the sliding hatch at the companionway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2010
Islander 28 Bayview
I need to remove my sliding hatch above the companionway so I can replace the teak wood slides that it slides in. Does anyone know the trick to sliding the cover off prior to removing the old slides? (O'day 25)

Thanks

Nov 1, 2010
Oday 19 mariner Ventura
Om my 19' Mariner, I remove the cover with the slides after removing the screws from inside the cabin that hold the slides.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
1950 sailor

I need to remove my sliding hatch above the companionway so I can replace the teak wood slides that it slides in. Does anyone know the trick to sliding the cover off prior to removing the old slides? (O'day 25)

Thanks
1950 Sailor:

The wood groves are held in place by wood screws under the teak plugs. You have to carefully extract plugs without damaging the philips screw sockets. I had to drill the plugs out.

Some people routinely remove the wood hatch grove to refinish. Plugs can be had on line or at West.

Ed K
O26

Attachments

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Those screws do not go through the deck? I have wondered about that, with one slide rail damaged I need to replace it, but didn't see any access points in the cabin. There are access points for the handrails though.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Indysailor

Those screws do not go through the deck? I have wondered about that, with one slide rail damaged I need to replace it, but didn't see any access points in the cabin. There are access points for the handrails though.
Indysailor:

I had to replace one, but Teak cost like hell, so I replace both with HDPE. Used router to match grooves and round edges. HDPE works good and cost me about $10.00 for both. But it takes about 6 passes to match shape of sliding grooves and rounding edges. HDPE is easliy available in white, somewhat available in black and can be had in the teak look alikes.
But sellers of teak lookalikes hear sailboat owner in their ears and charge excessively for nautical appearance.

I counter sunk screws, but now would just switch to ss pan head screws. The pan head screws actually might work better because you would insure sealant under heads.

Not difficult to do if you have access to router. Use standard router bits.

Ed K
addendum:
http://www.wnd.com/

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.