Removing Stains and smudges

John_F

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 31 Buffalo
Our boat has tea-colored water stains along the hull and black smudges from sneakers, etc. Any suggestions on how to remove these stains and smudges?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Acetone and Magic Erasers will take shoe marks off. Acetone evaporates too quickly to do damage unless of course you leave a soaked rag sitting in one spot on the deck for a while. Magic Erasers are a very light abrasive. Pondering that thought as I opened up a package last night, I tried it on a fingernail. Within 20 seconds the texture of my fingernail became completely smooth. Perhaps the mop version of Magic Erasers are a bit more aggressive. I'd reach for the acetone first. It'll remove the shoe marks in seconds without any damage.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Another vote for magic erasers and acetone. I usually try acetone first and if it doesnt do the trick, i grab the magic eraser.

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
black smudges from sneakers,
Like they do on Basketball courts, no black smudging sneakers allowed on the boat.

This is a case of avoidance rather than cure.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
tea-colored water stains along the hull
These are a result of the water you sail in.
  • On/Off stain remover is an acid. You can try other acids before going the muriatic acid approach.
  • Bar Keeper Friend is Oxalic acid. It works on fiberglass to remove organic stains. It may etch or dull polished surfaces as it contains micro abrasives.
  • You might also try white vinegar.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Something that has always removed every stain you can collect is :

1714584523088.png

It is an extremely light abrasive which will remove gelcoat oxidation but not gel coat. Even the cheapest gut rot wine a guest brought aboard and then proceeded to spill it wherever he could. Water and soap couldn't touch this stain on gel coat but Meguiar's #44 and some elbow grease did the job. The fabrics, not so good.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
These are a result of the water you sail in.
  • Bar Keeper Friend is Oxalic acid. It works on fiberglass to remove organic stains. It may etch or dull polished surfaces as it contains micro abrasives
:plus: for Bar Keepers. I keep a bottle on my boat and when I anchor someplace and go for a swim... I take the bottle with me and a brush and quickly get all of the brown off of the sides of my boat. The stuff is magic. I like to get the liquid slurry type and not the powder.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Well, it looks like there are numerous, viable options.

My personal fave is Collinite Fiberglass cleaner. One year, my decks turned gray from a forest fire several states away. Nothing seemed to be taking it off. Being a fan of Collinite wax, I figured I'd try their cleaner. Bingo. It's been my go-to ever since.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I use a product called Serious Marine Cleaner by Shurhold. Removes black marks and stains. Will strip wax off so you may have to rewax.

Be careful with magic eraiser, they have melamine in them and it will scar and dull the gel coat. Use them softly.