Removing painted-on boat name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
All along I've been under the impression that oven cleaner would remove the old boat name. It doesn't seem to be working. Can I use paint stripper (the find used to refinish furniture) or will that damage the gel coat?

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I've seen people use heat from a torch or heat gun then pull and scrap. The best way I've found to take decal type names off is with a tool called an MBX Blaster. It works like a large eraser. It can scorch paint if you leave it in one place too long but I have never seen it harm gel coat.

Attachments

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Painted on I've used solvent. I used lacquer thinner, rags, gloves, and lots of elbow grease. If it's a decal; heat and a scraper then remove the gum with solvent.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Are you using oven-off that is NOT heat activated? I have not heard this complaint before. Of course we have no idea what type of paint was used either.

Cut the oven cleaner to be sure that it is the correct type.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if it was painted on with epoxy or urethane, oven cleaner wont work.... nor will thinner. paint remover will not work on true epoxy and some urethanes
a heat gun will do the epoxy and some urethanes, but not all of them...

sanding works on all of it....

if it was painted on with awlgrip, sanding is the only option...

May 14, 2009
Sirius 21 Pelican Yacht Club, Manitoba
advice fro a sign painter

The sign painter that put the name on my boat said to use an abrasive cleaner like Comet. But be careful.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I ended up sanding with a flat block and some fine (200) paper. then 400 wet/dry.. then 600 wet/dry and polish. I found that the surrounding gel coat had oxidized and left the painted name proud of the surface and without sanding, the name was easily readable even after the paint was gone.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
kloudie,

I ended up doing the same thing, except that I only sanded with 600. I'm not thrilled with the results. I might go back and start over with something more coarse.

Status
Not open for further replies.