Removing Old Polyglow.....here is a good solution!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We bought the 272 LE in Dec. of 1986.....In the spring of 1987 someone suggested we use polyglow on the grey hull..which we did. It looked fantastic !! Two weeks later, we were washing the deck with softscrub w/ bleach and in rinsing it off, the bleach removed the poly glow and made steaks down the sides of the hull...long story short.....the long story is we just got it off last Friday, and the short story is it took 30 some years....actually, both stories are about the same length......Enter our search to find something to successfully remove the streaks, we tried a ton of products, and I don't think we applied them correctly....but we did find a fabulous product called Endurra Floor Stripper......or EnduraStrip made by Spartan Chemical company of Maunee, Ohio.......short story...in one day we totally removed all the polyglow from the hull. You have to follow the instructions closely, but if you do you are rewarded with total removal of the polyglow in one afternoon.......the most important thing is not to apply to the polyglow and let it dry on the boat hull....i.e. you must follow the instructions and keep it wet.....you will quickly see the fruits of your labor.....do not let it dry!!..the EnduraStrip must stay on the hull WET for 10 minutes...then rinse off.....this cannot be done easily with one person....One must apply and keep the Endurra product wet while I spray the hull so the product must be applied to an already wet space on the hull....it just takes a simple bit of coordination between two people and a bit of patience...it was my job to wet the hull using a garden hose, then my wife applied the Endura product, and it sits stays on the wet hull for 10 minutes, she slowly scrubs the endura and I do the timing, then we spray it off....we worked our way around the boat in approx. 3 hours....but boy, did we do a good job....and we are still married.....Good luck to you...if you have a question, let me know. Patrick

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Thanks for the tip.
What did you use to scrub the wax off, brush, rags etc? Are you looking to reapply the wax now that you know a good way to remove it when needed?

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
There is nothing good that I have read about Polyglow.
Glad that you found a fix!!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We used a long handled brush which we were able to purchase at the janitorial supply....We finished a complete wax job this last Friday and launched the boat yesterday morning...for a grey 1986 O'day 272 LE ..she is very beautiful....!! Pat

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I used Poly Glow with great success in the past. They sell a stripper that works great. The trick with Poly Glow is to not use it where it will come in contact with your skin. The oils will soften it and turn it dark. Lots of people have been delighted with the results, but it must be used properly. It isn't a wax.

Ken

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
We have been using PolyGlow for years (at least 8-9) and have been thrilled with it. Following the instructions to the T is important, including starting with a clean surface, and not getting too much on the applicator

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Isn’t polyglow an acrylic? You only need to gently wet sand it each season and apply 3 or 4 new coats VERY sparingly. It will look streaky at first. Then it will shine.
Any acrylic floor polish remover will remove it.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
By the way... I use ProForce High Gloss Floor Polish on my hull. It costs a fraction of PolyGlow or any other auto/marine acrylic coating. Water resistant, UV resistant, scuff resistant... been using it since about 2013. It works great. Super easy to use. Ken is right... do not use it in the cockpit. I do not use it on the decks either... just the hull.