Removing Lifeline Coating/Cover

JDE

Jun 6, 2019
Hunter 23.5 As many as possible
Has anyone removed the coating/cover material from a lifeline? It’s looking pretty tired but I can’t think of a convenient way to remove it. Don’t want to damage the cable that it seems to be adhered to. Would like to replace it with a new removable cover of some kind or just leave them bare. Its from a 1993 H23.5. Any advice is appreciated.
ADB31BE0-ADB3-4763-8AD3-419A2904AD46.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Goodness, how old are those cables?
Try making cuts lengthways and peeling them with pliers.
Do a thorough inspection after you get them uncovered. The issue with vinyl coated wire on a boat is the hidden corrosion from trapped water under the vinyl.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well hello @JDE welcome back. Hope your return to sailing after 40 years has given you a rewarding summer.

I’m guessing that you are looking at the boat on these winter days and have decided that it’s time to improve the looks of your “lifelines”.

The advise I heard many years ago when I contemplated scraping the plastic off the lifelines was “DON’T DO IT BOY!”

Sure you may get the plastic off and you may be able to polish the rusted wire to an acceptable look, but remember their purpose. They are LIFELINES. Some say plastic covered lines should never been used. They do serve a purpose. The plastic enlarges the hand feel of a small diameter cable. The plastic makes it look good. The plastic may protect the casual user from broken wire injury. But there is danger in their use. As @Will Gilmore has shared the plastic contributes to wire corrosion at the same time hides it’s occurrence. The cracks and little orange stains are sometimes the only warning before failure.

I suggest 2020 is a very good year for you to up grade your LIFELINES. Perhaps you go plastic cable again. Maybe you try to install Dyneema lines. Or you choose to put on Stainless cable as is required for ocean racing crew safety. It is your boat and your choice.

My hope is you’ll choose to let the cracked plastic lines rest in a dumpster. They have given good service and really don’t owe you anything more.

Fair winds and safe sailing in 2020.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Will and John gave good advice but to your question.... yes I've done it. But after you slice and peel off the old cable, rub it with a piece of cotton. If little balls of cotton stick to the cable then you have broken strands and should replace it. If not, then you are good to go. Here is how I replaced my vinyl coating. I went to Lowe's and got some orange tygon tubing and slid it over the old cable. I used orange because I also wanted the added safety factor of a highly visible line. This was done on a Coronado 23 I used to own a long time ago. Here is a pic with a couple of knuckle-headed friends of mine in the cockpit. You can see my newly coated lines in the pic.
Harold&Adom.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Why when you post an image with "Knuckle headed friends" our eyes immediately go to the grinning crew and totally miss the "Bright Orange" safety lines. strung loosely about the boat on stanchions that show the wear - being used to slow the boat as it arrives at the dock a wee bit quickly. :huh:

Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
Had the same problem. I used a propane torch to remove the old vinyl. Once it gets crispy, scraping it off is a breeze. My objective, too, was to improve the feel and diameter of the lifeline. After inspection of the cable, I put on 1/2" vinyl tubing and foam pipe insulation. So I ended up with a lifeline about 2 1/2" in diameter. Then I got some Sunbrella material and made covers to go over the pipe insulation. Each end of the cover is open so water can't get trapped inside. They are removable for winter storage and that makes lifeline inspection easy.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
shopping.jpeg

This tool will safely strip the jacket along the cable without scratching the cable inside.
The depth of the blade can be adjusted.
It is used to strip the outer jacket of electrical cable. Available in most big box hardware store.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Had the same problem. I used a propane torch to remove the old vinyl. Once it gets crispy, scraping it off is a breeze. My objective, too, was to improve the feel and diameter of the lifeline. After inspection of the cable, I put on 1/2" vinyl tubing and foam pipe insulation. So I ended up with a lifeline about 2 1/2" in diameter. Then I got some Sunbrella material and made covers to go over the pipe insulation. Each end of the cover is open so water can't get trapped inside. They are removable for winter storage and that makes lifeline inspection easy.
That is a good idea! But sounds like a lot of work. You got me wondering if that grey tubing used for electrical conduit wouldn't make a nice cover for the lifelines. It comes in several colors and it is cheap. ????????? I'm also now thinking I might get some of the blue pipe and replace the chafe covers I have on my shrouds. I currently have white PVC pipe and the blue would match my sail covers, bimi etc.

1579621045965.png
1579621097741.png
1579621214430.png

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Those are pretty crispy so you might end up replacing them anyway, but I've used a box knife to strip lifelines almost that bad before, and that worked well. just slice off one side of the vinyl and the rest pretty much just falls off.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
When I tried to cut the vinyl off my old lifelines, the knife went right through what was left of the rusty wire underneath. If I hadn't tried to remove the vinyl I wouldn't have known they were that bad till one broke and put me in the water. Replaced them with 3/16" bare 1x19 SS wire.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
When I worked for the phone company on a number of different size cables, we had what was called an "alpath knife" to remove insulation off cables. I think the box stores have them. Rubber-ish gray handles for good grip. Use any knife on edge, like you would a spokesheave or draw knife. Lay the blade towards you, and almost flat to the lifeline. Pull it along on the wire part, and you should be able to get a good slice of the stuff off. Probably enough to just peel the ramainng part of. If not, repeat the cutting.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Try renting someone's goats, they will chew it off. A German shepherd puppy will do just as well.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Would like to replace it with a new removable cover of some kind or just leave them bare
I thought about trying to peel off the vinyl cover but was advised against that so went ahead a replaced them with new bare Suncor lifelines.. You can take them to West Marine to it up lines, purchase from Seco South or purchase Suncor lifeline kit for a number of distributors.

• Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I removed mine that were in the same condition as yours, to comply with race requirementms and found that the wire underneath was great. I removed them from the boat and lashed the end clevis to a strong post and used an old paring knife like a two-handed draw knife. hold the blade at a slight angle and pull it along the wire. It shaved off one edge and the rest pealed off. The wire underneath had some red staining but I was able to remove it with a quick application of Wichinox and now they sparkle like new. I was sure PO'd to find out that Wichard discontinued that stuff cause it works great. Fortunately, I still have 1 1/2 tubes on hand. :kick:

Apr 5, 2009
:hijack: WooHoo!! Hopefully this is the same stuff because they have changed the packaging from what I always got. It is still not listed on Fisheries and West Marine says "This product is discontinued"
This stuff is the best thing for SS I have ever seen. The photos are before and after treatment of dodger hardware. Wipe it on with a terrycloth rag, let sit for 15 minutes and hose off. Here is a link to the Wichard site that say it is a new formula so hopefully it still works like the old stuff. https://www.wichard.com/documents/Fiche_Wichinox_9605_Public_ENG.pdf

Back on topic, if you can find Wichinox, it worked great to clean and passivate my old ugly lifelines with a simple wipe on, wait, hose off. The wire under the cover had no pitting or broken wires and just a bit of surface rust staining.
before.jpgafter.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
While waiting for new cables we covered the old ones with shroud covers. Made all butt joints happen inside the stanchions. It was so clean that I deferred installing the replacements until the next season...

Apr 5, 2009
While waiting for new cables we covered the old ones with shroud covers. Made all butt joints happen inside the stanchions. It was so clean that I deferred installing the replacements until the next season...
Why do you need covers at all. If you have any fish-hook or broken wires they are not safe for lifelines. If not, they do not need covers and most racing rules do not allow them.