Removing lettering stain

Oct 18, 2021
J-Boat J/30 Provincetown
I recently wet sanded off hand painted lettering on my transom, but the paint discolored the gel coat leaving it slightly yellow. It’s also slightly raised where the letters were. What’s the best solution to get rid of the color? I don’t mind that it’s raised a bit.
D03DCC81-4C8F-4D2D-8FC1-DF0FB48D0F6F.jpeg

56DE8115-1F98-4E36-B8BC-A5436DEACFCD.jpeg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Pick a small spot in a letter and keep sanding to see how deep the color penetration is. Hopefully it is just to the raised portion of the lettering. One alternative would be to paint the transom in a darker color.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One alternative would be to paint the transom in a darker color.
This is true. But if that is the case you will need to prep the transom. Sanding to remove albtraces of the previous lettering. Then priming the area with a dark primer. Again sanding smooth. Then painting. Of course once the transom is painted then the rest of the topsides hull will follow.

Oct 18, 2021
J-Boat J/30 Provincetown
I'm going to try FSR and scotch brite first. Then I'll move on to more sanding. The gel coat is a bit thin in other spots on the transom so I'll have to be very careful. I would like to avoid painting, I'll probably just live with it if it comes down to that.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I wonder if it will fade away on its own from sun exposure over the course of a season or so. I’d get it as clear as possible without doing anything dramatic then see how it looks after a few months.

Oct 18, 2021
J-Boat J/30 Provincetown
I was thinking time might also work. If you look closely, there are some spots where the paint had chipped off, these spots don’t have the strain. So it’s not permanent. The question is will it be 2-3 seasons or 10 seasons!

After wet sanding I used a fast cut compound, followed by a finer one and wax. The buffing didn’t remove the stain.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
This is true. But if that is the case you will need to prep the transom. Sanding to remove albtraces of the previous lettering. Then priming the area with a dark primer. Again sanding smooth. Then painting. Of course once the transom is painted then the rest of the topsides hull will follow.
Did not claim that all the solutions have no negatives attached to them, because each and everyone of them do have costs and a labor factors which the owner will have to weigh on his options.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
I used oven cleaner to remove the hand painted lettering on the hull. That was 23 years ago when we bought our boat. No residual problems with the gelcoat, worked great.

Oct 18, 2021
J-Boat J/30 Provincetown
I tried FSR and on off, both didn't work. I then tried wet sanding but I started to burn through the gel coat, see the photo. Looks like the stain is almost all the way through the gel coat. I think the only option is to cover it up with paint. I'm not willing to paint it, so I guess we will see if it fades after a few seasons. Thanks for all the input.

IMG_8291.jpg

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I thought it looked like the gelcoat has been bleached out except where the letters were rather than a stain.

Oct 18, 2021
J-Boat J/30 Provincetown
I thought it looked like the gelcoat has been bleached out except where the letters were rather than a stain.
I think that’s right. Yesterday I took off an old compass, underneath the gelcoat had a yellowish tint, very similar to the color under the lettering. So I think most of the boat has been bleached out, but anything covered has retained it’s yellow tint. It’s interesting that the bleaching is almost all the way through the gel coat, I would have expected the wet sanding to reveal some yellow tint directly outside of the lettering.