Removing Diesel Fuel Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Johnson

Sailing in 25 Knots of wind this weekend a jerry can of diesel fuel spilled in the aft cockpit compartment,drained into the aft berth and soaked the cushions. How do I remove the oder? Do I replace the foam and dryclean the covers, or is there another solution?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

UGH!

I don't think you're going to be able to get it out of the cushions. A good drycleaner MAY be able to get it out of the covers. But a product that's available at West Marine (called "No Odor" or "Odor B Gone" or something along those lines) will absorb the smell from the area. I wish I could remember the name but it does help! Good luck!! LaDonna

G

G. Webster

Smelly boat

Go to Home Depot and ask a sailsperson, I mean salesperson, what will remove the odor. They have all kinds of products that perform miracles. I know. Bought a smelly boat a few years ago and now it is fresh as a daisy. Good luck. Gloria

G

Gary Jensen

new cushions

If you want a fresh start-----get NEW cushions. I don't think you will ever be able to remove all the smell. Every time you enter the boat you will smell where the diesel permeated the cushions etc. Its hard enough to rid the smell of diesel on hard surfaces of closed cell construction, but cushions that absorb YUCK! You don't want anyone to lay on them!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.