Removing carpet from cabin walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe

I have just purchased a 1979 O'Day 25 and I am looking for any insight other owners who have removed the carpet from the cabin walls. joecav@verizon.net

D

Don

Can be a mess

Joe, I removed the carpet from my O'Day 22 a few years back. Removing the carpet was not hard, just grap a lose edge and pull. Problem is the adhesive left behind. I losened the adhesive using a hair dryer and a putty knife. Since I was replacing the carpet, I just needed to remove the heavy areas some.

E

Ed

You are going to have sooo much fun!

I just did this last month. The way I did it. Remove everything from the interior. Eba-ting! Cushions, pans, sailing stuff, everything down to the plastic. I even removed the head, the "hanging locker" and the vanity cabinet/sink. Then, rip off as much as you can by hand or pliers. Like Don wrote, the fabric comes off easy, except at the top where the edge goes behind the headliner. The screws that join the hull to deck and rubrail will be screwed through the cloth. The choices are to cut close to the headliner with a sharp utility knife and push the remnants up, out of sight, out of mind behind the headliner, or: make a tool of steel strap. Slide the strap up under the fabric. The end needs to be bent less than a nail puller but more than a shoehorn. If the tool has a slot in the end, you can slide it up so the screw is in the slot, and the fabric is supported on either side of the screw. Rock the tool to pry the cloth off of the screws. You can figure it out. Then the fun part. Put on a tyvec coverall with a full head cover and a full face respirator. I use a hepa filter powered air filter on a full headcover tyvec hood. Get a small angle grinder with a cup brush and you can remove all of the foam backing and adhesive from the tip of the v-berth to the end of the quarter berth in about an hour. Clean right down to the roving. Then spend the next hour vacuuming up all the little bits. I filled a 16 gallon shop vac four times with foam and stuff. Once all the cloth and foam is removed, you can see how poorly your boat was built and can spend the next two weeks replacing all the broken tabbing. Weeee!!! The attached photo shows my retabbed v-berth, starboard side, just forward of the bulkhead. The white filler under the cloth is chopped glass and epoxy, used to fill the one inch gap between the hull and v-berth. ONE INCH? The factory had joined the two with two layers of resin soaked mat draped across the void. That there's quality Bangor Punta work, yessir!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.