Removing bottom paint: How long does it take?

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
As someone that sand their boat bottom EVERY April in NY
Equipment needed from HomeDepot, or Amazon
N95 mask or equivalent
Safety goggles
HDX All purpose painters coverall
5 Inch orbital sander
5 inch 80 grit SandNet disk (works much better than sand paper).
Disposable gloves

Sand for an hour, eat and drink, continue. Should only take a couple of hours.
I use VC 17m which works well in fresh water
IMG_20200506_104014387.jpg
IMG_20200506_161234545.jpg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
LakeOntario270:
If you use VC17, why on earth do you bother sanding annually? Seems like a colossal waste of time and energy.

I have used VC17 for years and never felt inclined to sand. A thorough light pressure wash at winter haulout takes off 99% of the slime, winter weather most of the rest of it. In the Spring, just wipe down the bottom with alcohol and repaint. The stuff doesn’t build up

I’m glad I have never had to deal with ablative bottom paint. I have seen how that can accumulate, and the work involved in starting over after a quarter inch or more of buildup and areas flaking off.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Because I never sanded all the old layers of paint off when I bought the boat. It's the old paint underneath the VC17 flaking off that is the problem.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you're trying to remove all of the bottom paint I've had good luck with TotalBoat's stripper. Slap it on, cover it up and pick it up off the ground an hour later

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Herrington Harbour North, MD Where Dr. D's boat is. They have a large yard there and was letting him know how touchy they are getting.
That's right, they are very touchy. OTOH, a nice marina.