Removing Bird Poop

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I would love to hear what the rest of you fine people have found the most effective bird poop remover from their Sunbrella canvas. Is removing the covers for professional cleaning a good option? Is there some kind of killer product that sprays on and removes the last of the white residue? The genius with the best product selection goes into my personal SBO Hall of Fame and, upon their passing, will attain "total consciousness". (a blessing from Karl, the greenskeeper.:waycool::waycool::waycool: ) Thanks in advance for the help.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I do know that refreshing the water repellent treatment regularly makes a huge difference in how it embeds.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Try vinegar. It breaks down the calcium in the bird poop. Just make sure to really wash the vinegar out of the sail covers,

19thol

May 2, 2014
Hunter 30 St.Petersburg, Fl
We took our bimini cover home to scrub it on the patio, could not get the poop totally out, cleaned it three times with a brush, using many different cleaners, finally gave up and put it back on the boat. After about three weeks of daily rainstorms, the poop is totally gone?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We’ve used a laundromat that has a large front load washer and Tide 4 in 1 pods. The Sunbrella main and hank on jib covers look new and smell fresh every spring. Oh yeah...the Magma grill cover too! Have not seen any damage to zippers or toggle snaps, gets rid of bird crap pretty well...and spider nests as well. I haven’t felt the need to apply water repellent yet, as a test spray beads up every year for the last 5 years.

Scrubbing canvas seems pretty harsh to me. Better ask @Kermit what he does. He’s posted pictures of the worst Osprey (not the VTOL craft) attack on black canvas that I have ever seen! :poop:o_O

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It’s been a while but I think I used a combination of boat so
Scrubbing canvas seems pretty harsh to me. Better ask @Kermit what he does. He’s posted pictures of the worst Osprey (not the VTOL craft) attack on black canvas that I have ever seen! :poop:o_O
I tried to post a picture. But the new and improved site won’t allow this much poop to be uploaded. Something about the file size. Personally I think it’s too much poop.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I would love to hear what the rest of you fine people have found the most effective...
Oh wait. He asked for the fine people to respond. That’s why my picture won’t upload.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Oh wait. He asked for the fine people to respond. That’s why my picture won’t upload.
Come on Captain, where’s the forum link, it could be enlightening? Probably an easy find in “my content” in your profile page! I’ve been banned from your profile page. :kick:

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I use the sunbrella recommended 303 fabric guard after I have thoroughly cleaned with soap, water, brush and and repeat with 303 cleaner. The fabric guard helps to repel water and makes rinsing off the poop easier. Try to apply 2x a year.

3M needs to analyze the poop contents for its adhesive purposes. Gorilla glue or other adhesives can’t hold a candle to bird poop for its stickiness.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
make your boat a less welcoming stand than your neighbor's down the canal. Move the boat frequently.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
make your boat a less welcoming stand than your neighbor's down the canal. Move the boat frequently.
I added this to my spreaders to discourage them from landing. I also added an OMG nasty piece that trusses are joined with on the top of my mast light. So far so good.
75DD14CD-7A12-40CD-89C2-9D5876F46C6F.jpeg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have tried many cleaners with limited success. Most of the deposits come off but there is still a shadow. I have been meaning to bring some of the home pet stain removal spray to try but I keep forgetting. The last time I used some car wash soap that worked as good anything. Attached is a file that Sunbrella put out that recommends stain removal procedures.

The real goal is to somehow keep these birds off the boat entirely to eliminate the need for weekly cleaning. Other than 24/7 guards with heavy artillery, I don't see a good method.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I have tried many cleaners with limited success. Most of the deposits come off but there is still a shadow. I have been meaning to bring some of the home pet stain removal spray to try but I keep forgetting. The last time I used some car wash soap that worked as good anything. Attached is a file that Sunbrella put out that recommends stain removal procedures.

The real goal is to somehow keep these birds off the boat entirely to eliminate the need for weekly cleaning. Other than 24/7 guards with heavy artillery, I don't see a good method.
Now that's some information I would like to have had a long time ago.
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: