Removing and reinstalling vinyl cloth headliners

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
I need to replace the stanchion base on the mid port side of my 2007 Hunter 38. To do this I need to remove the cloth headliner above the galley cabinets for access to the stanchion base bolts.
What is the best procedure to remove the headliner and successfully reinstall it?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
3M 38808 Headliner Adhesive.
Spray both the material and the underside several times per the instructions, and stick it back up.
Jack,
The headliners in that year were not glued in place.

I did this couple years ago to install an additional clutch on the coach roof for the vang. Following was copied from a previous post by another member here. I used a plastic paint scraper rather than the CD. I rounded off the corners with sandpaper and smoothed the edge, rather than being sharp. Go slow and you'll be fine.

Removing Plastic headliner
Hunter

OK Guys and Gals. I did it. I pulled the headliner to put in a new rope clutch. Here is the skinny on the the vinyl headliner. First I must apologies I took no pictures. Camera is broke.

1. Tools - One small 3 inch plastic scrapper and one old CD disk

2. Headliner construction - The headliner is held in place with a plastic C-clamp track the holds the headliner in place. The vinyl liner is tucked into this track

3. Pulling it out - I wedged in the plastic scrapper in very near the corner of the liner where I wanted to pull it out. I took a very small nose pliers, wrapped it in lens cleaning cloth and gently pulled the corner out. From there I move the plastic scrapper along the track (to open the C-clamp) gently pulling now with my fingers the headliner out. PULL OUT ENOUGH OF THE HEADLINER YOU NEED TO ACCESS THE AREA TO BE WORKED ON.

4. Putting it back it - Easy Please! When you pull the headliner out you will see how Hunter tucked it into the track. I took the CD disk and wedge it just before the track where the headliner is out. I than rolled the CD, catching the fold of the headliner, in the track to the end. You will have some left over material from the headliner sticking out. That is OK. Now take the plastic scrapper and tuck the rest of the material into the track. My technique was take the corner of the scrapper place it into the C-clamp track and roll the scrapper into the track. Do this until all extra material is tuck nicely and presto, you are done!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I need to replace the stanchion base on the mid port side of my 2007 Hunter 38. To do this I need to remove the vinyl cloth headliner above the galley cabinets for access to the stanchion base bolts.
What is the best procedure to remove the headliner and successfully reinstall it?
Here is something I am sure that will help the visualization,
For your information http://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...resource-documents-archive-now-online.147756/
This is an extremely helpful link for Hunter owners

Attachments

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from your sponsor...
Hunter replacement stanchions

From current Marlow-Hunter boats to the classic cherubinis of the 80s, we have most stanchions and bases available, many of them in stock for quick shipment.
See the product

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Pat, venture to say here that the stanchion base bolts are threaded to a metal plate bedded into the deck, like ours. Our model is a bit different than yours, but the stanchion arms on our boat have flat head machined screws that are threaded into a metal plate bedded into the deck. No need here to open up the inside of the boat headliner to gain access to nuts, which do not exist.

Have you tried to remove the bolts, and if so, what did you find? In other words, is there any kind of stanchion base fastener on deck that you can undo either with a wrench or driver? If not, give it a try. What is wrong with the stanchion base in question?

Before you open up the headliner, contact Marlow Hunter Customer Service and ask them for the best practice to remove said stanchion base.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Hi Pat, venture to say here that the stanchion base bolts are threaded to a metal plate bedded into the deck, like ours. Our model is a bit different than yours, but the stanchion arms on our boat have flat head machined screws that are threaded into a metal plate bedded into the deck. No need here to open up the inside of the boat headliner to gain access to nuts, which do not exist.

Have you tried to remove the bolts, and if so, what did you find? In other words, is there any kind of stanchion base fastener on deck that you can undo either with a wrench or driver? If not, give it a try. What is wrong with the stanchion base in question?

Before you open up the headliner, contact Marlow Hunter Customer Service and ask them for the best practice to remove said stanchion base.

Terry

I thought the same thing. Pretty sure I'd read that the stanchions were bolted into threaded plates imbedded in the deck. Another source to confirm could be the dealer service department. We bought our Hunter 38 from Racine Riverside Marine in Racine Wisconsin and their service department has been extremely helpful when I've had questions like this. Even though I'm over 70 miles across the lake from them.