Removing a kink from a CDI FF2 Furler luff extrusion (Aluminum)

Jun 17, 2017
Com-Pac Eclipse Pensacola, FL
I am having a significant problem raising my genoa on my CDI FF2 furler. It lowers just fine. After lowering the sail I sighted along the edge of the luff extrusion and found a kink about 12' up the extrusion. There is a second smaller kink further up the extrusion. Evidently I have an older CDI furler as the extrusion is aluminum and not pvc. It appears that most of the on-line information concerns the pvc extrusions and putting the kinked extrusion in a tube and letting it sit in the sun for a couple of weeks. I wonder if this would work for aluminum. I checked for replacements and there are pvc replacement extrusions for around $250. Has anyone successfully straightened an aluminum CDI furler luff extrusion? If so, how?.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Take a picture of the extrusion, fueling drum etc. I dealt with the cdi ff2 system for years and do not recall aluminum extrusions. Photos please. Does it have an internal halyard?

Jun 28, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Winnipeg
..... Evidently I have an older CDI furler as the extrusion is aluminum and not pvc. ..... I checked for replacements and there are pvc replacement extrusions for around $250.
Our plastic luff extrusions are not compatible with the older Reefer systems which used the aluminum foils. A full system replacement would be required if you can't locate foils second-hand. Parts have unfortunately sold out years ago for these systems. I hope this helps.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Curious, were those aluminum extrusions manufactured in one piece or in sections?

If in one piece then shipping would have been interesting, since I assume they couldn't have been coiled.

Are you sure those are kinks and not joints of some kind in a multi-section extrusion?

If you do find a used extrusion, be sure it hasn't been trimmed shorter (for some other boat model) than your required length.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
After recognizing that the original poster must have a CDI Reefer, not an FF2, I found a Reefer manual (see Reefer link at http://www.sailcdi.com/flexible-furlers), which indicates that the aluminum extrusion was indeed delivered in sections, so it might be worth closer inspection to confirm whether something is actually kinked or if it is extrusion joints that are causing the problem.

I can't tell whether it is possible to assemble the extrusion sections incorrectly, but maybe that happened somewhere along the line, or the joints are damaged or worn in some way that could be fixed.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Our plastic luff extrusions are not compatible with the older Reefer systems which used the aluminum foils. A full system replacement would be required if you can't locate foils second-hand. Parts have unfortunately sold out years ago for these systems. I hope this helps.
Seems like this guy is the one you should be talking to.... you might send him a picture of your set up for verification of model and available remedies.