Removing 3M 4000 from aluminum window frames

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 30 Everett
Anybody have any tricks? I’ve taken the frames to a local machine shop to have them try bead-blasting (and re-anodizing) but I’m out of other ideas! Tried all the chemical stuff, tried blades and knives and plastic putty knives…the sealant laughed at all of my efforts, slapped me with its chalky appendage, and clung to the delicate aluminum frames.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Consider replacing the aluminum frames? Do you know the manufacturer?

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 30 Everett
Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t know who manufactured them, and I’ve not been terribly successful in finding any OEM replacements either.

Feb 21, 2013
Man Ship can manufacture one for you. I had them fabricate 4 stainless steel portlights for me.

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 30 Everett
I’ll wind up needing all 8, how reasonable were they in pricing it for you? Did you have to pay the 25% tariff? I’m half tempted to just convert the whole thing to those plastic replacement windows.

Feb 21, 2013
My 7.5" x 16.5 x 2" portlights with stainless steel frames and tinted safety glass were $513 each, four total.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello and Welcome to the SBO Forum.
I have a different boat, but I just removed and replaced the 10 windows (because they look more like windows than the typical ports on a boat.). All aluminum frames.
The problem involved scraping plus two chemical products
  1. Remove, a Canadian made adhesive cleaner
  2. Goo Gone adhesive remover
Found I had to be a little patient letting the chemical sit on the caulk/adhesive. Once I got the chemical between the frame and the caulk it worked better.

Returning to Everett this afternoon. PM me if you will be on the docks sometime after 17:00.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Debond Marine formula adhesive remover does indeed work but it's $$$. Denatured Alcohol works but very slowly.

I've seen retrofit packages for C-30's that remove the alum windows completely, and go to a more modern glue-on window. Found em: Cruising Concepts – Handcrafted Boat Accessories

(Not a plug, never used em, etc... Being me, I'd just buy some lexan and makem. I did replace the opening hatch in the head of my C-30 but never ended up replacing the other windows)

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 30 Everett
Ok, so I finally broke down and fashioned a scraper from an old knife and got the big chunks off. The rest was polished off using a copper wire brush, and the rest-rest was removed with a commercially available goo-removing spray + a green pad. That’s one down, just 7 more to go. I may just live with the damn things leaking, I haven’t even gotten around to re-glazing/re-attaching and that’s supposed to be the “hard” part.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good for you Kelly.
It is a project like eating an elephant. You can do it... One bite at a time.

• Ha