Remove or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Neisent

My wife and I just bought a Mac 25. It is our first boat and am looking forward to having lots of adventures. We bought the boat used and are getting it ready to put in the water. When we first got it, it had been stored for five years on a trailer in a mans back yard. The boat is in good shape but was left holding about three feet of water inside. Now that we have gotten all the water out and have repainted the cabin we were left with the smell of the water logged foam that is under the V birth and other compartments. For now we have just left them out but I was wondering If that little amount of foam was need in the boat. We could use this new space for storage. I can understand the reasoning for the foam, but having just a little in the aft section and what little was under the V birth could do any real good? Wondering Brian

C

Clayton Fawcett

The extra storage would be nice...

Brian, The extra storage definately would be nice. I was also wondering if the minimal amount of foam in the bow and that in the stern under the cockpit would do any good. I do think that the foam would provide an extra margin of safety in the event of a total loss of the boat (god forbid). If the foam would not keep the boat afloat, I think it would slow the sinking of a swamped boat. This could possibly give the occupants a few extra seconds to gather themselves before they ended up in the water. Keep in mind that one cubic foot of foam will float about 60lbs. Say a heavily loaded M25 weighs 3500lbs (on the heavy side) this would require 58 cubic feet of foam to keep it floating at the water surface. I was also wondering if the area under the V-berth wouldn't be a candidate for high expanion foam poured in place. This would provide the flotation and also stiffen the V-berth area. (Just a thought)

A

Art Niedzielski

A fully swamped Mac 25 will float with water up to about the rub rail with the flotation that comes from the factory. That means that the flotation is barely adequate as is, and the removal of any will let the boat sink. The good news is, it's not very likely that you will get a big hole in your hull. I have been knocked down several times and taken water over the side, but the boat pops back up if the keel is bolted. Also, most other 25 foot boats do not have flotation. 25 feet seems to be the size where most manufacturers design without positive flotation.

S

Stacy Murphy

A question with a ?

I also just purchesed a MacGregor 22,I also have the same problem with standing water,my question is how did you pump the water out from under v-birth and other areas. Thank You for your help.

H

Hank Sommer

no foam

Hi I bought my '86 new and lived with the foam for all these years. Last year I decided to remove the foam because of a constant but badly needed storage space for weekend cruising. In addition the constant mess below was getting on my nerves. I also opened up the hatches and installed hinged plywood hatch covers and a shelf on the starboard side. I didn't launch last year and am looking forward to see how it all works out. Mind you dumping the foam may not be for you but it I believe this will suit me for the waters I sail with this boat.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Seems to me that--

When my dad was working on Warren Luhr's Hunter 54 prototype, Tuesday's Child, the question came up about adding foam for positive flotation in the event of hitting an iceberg during the OSTAR or something. When we realised how much the necessary foam would weigh the decision was made to do without it entirely. Forgive me for sounding vicious but I don't think any prudent yacht sailor, even with a very light-displacement boat like a Venture, should ever rely on foam to save the boat when it tips over. The correct thing is to NOT LET IT TIP OVER! Get a hiking stick, have your crew sit in the right places, sail according to weather conditions, and make sure your sail trim and reefing are done right and on time. This is simply basic seamanship. A small boat is great to get started on but please remember you have to progress from 'just starting' sooner or later!! (spoken like a typical teacher there!) I would either: 1. if it's inaccessible, replace the foam with high-expansion CLOSED-CELL foam which will NOT absorb water and therefore not stink. MacGregor probably used cheap refrigeration foam in block form rather than the higher-tech stuff. Or, 2. remove irt completely. It would be nice to be able to put some of that weight in the centre of the boat where it belongs. The thing I would NOT recommend is getting comfortable with the idea that the foam is there to back-up poor sailing skills, because that's only going to get you into trouble. Do the right thing and take charge of the risks. Sail on. J Cherubini II Cherubini Art & Nautical Design Org.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Seems to me that--

When my dad was working on Warren Luhr's Hunter 54 prototype, Tuesday's Child, the question came up about adding foam for positive flotation in the event of hitting an iceberg during the OSTAR or something. When we realised how much the necessary foam would weigh the decision was made to do without it entirely. Forgive me for sounding vicious but I don't think any prudent yacht sailor, even with a very light-displacement boat like a Venture, should ever rely on foam to save the boat when it tips over. The correct thing is to NOT LET IT TIP OVER! Get a hiking stick, have your crew sit in the right places, sail according to weather conditions, and make sure your sail trim and reefing are done right and on time. This is simply basic seamanship. A small boat is great to get started on but please remember you have to progress from 'just starting' sooner or later!! (spoken like a typical teacher there!) I would either: 1. if it's inaccessible, replace the foam with high-expansion CLOSED-CELL foam which will NOT absorb water and therefore not stink. MacGregor probably used cheap refrigeration foam in block form rather than the higher-tech stuff. Or, 2. remove irt completely. It would be nice to be able to put some of that weight in the centre of the boat where it belongs. The thing I would NOT recommend is getting comfortable with the idea that the foam is there to back-up poor sailing skills, because that's only going to get you into trouble. Do the right thing and take charge of the risks. Sail on. J Cherubini II Cherubini Art & Nautical Design Org.

Status
Not open for further replies.