Remove hot water tank 1988 Hunter 28.5

Feb 13, 2023
Hunter 27-2 Milwaukee
I discovered that the hot water tank on my newly acquired 1988 Hunter 28.5 was abandoned by the previous owner. It has the 2GM20f freshwater cooling system. The engine coolant hose to the heater has been looped to prevent engine coolant to circulate through the Water heater. AC panel Circuit connection was removed and covered. I am assuming that it failed or leaked. I’m happy to remove it and gain more space and access to steering cables etc. my fear is that this thing is full of coolant and water. I would like to cut the water hoses which are still attached but want to avoid water spilling into the compartment. Coolant hoses have been bypassed as previously mentioned. Is there a way to drain it and plug the water lines without making a mess?? The water lines are the grey plastic stuff that has been deemed to be faulty.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Most tanks have a drain valve….open the T&P valve to allow the tank to vent and open the drain valve…should empty any water in the tank. It will flow to the bilge.

You could remove the water inlet and outlet hoses, and get a short nipple for that material and use it to just bypass the WH. I used to do that when I winterized my boat.

Greg

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
My guess is it's probably empty since PO bypassed it. To drain, if it does not go directly to the drain valve, connect a short piece of hose to it (same connector as house hose) to lead it to the bilge.
But why not test it for leaks first, then test to see if it works. Hot water is nice if you spend any amount of time on the boat !