Remove headliner to replace clutches

May 3, 2022
Beneteau 331 City Island
Hello Beneteau Owner

As I've written before, I recently bought a 2002 Beneteau 331.
The cabin-top starboard clutches are broken and difficult to use because they're old and improperly sized for the lines that run through them. They're Spinlocks, and, I suspect, original equipment.
Cabin top clutches cropped.jpg

My question today is "How should the headliner be removed and replaced?", which must be done to to replace the clutches.
It has 4 screws (covered by white plastic caps) at the corners of the hatch which clearly need to be removed. What are the other steps to remove and replace it?

A related question is "Is there a fairly comprehensive document or book that would answer this and similar questions about my boat, or Beneteau Oceanis boats in general?" The BENETEAU 331 OWNER’S MANUAL (attached) provides no guidance on the maintenance and repair of many areas of the boat, including this one.

Thanks in advance
Arthur

Attachments

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I had to replace the clutches on my 331 and I seem to remember the ceiling panel in the standing area of the aft cabin comes out as a piece. You start with removing the trim piece around the ceiling hatch, I think (hazy memory at work here).

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Same here on my 310. There is a panel about one foot square that are in my head and aft cabin that has four screws to remove the panel and expose the underside of the deck.

Nov 25, 2018
Oday 28 Wiscasset, ME
Same here on my 310. There is a panel about one foot square that are in my head and aft cabin that has four screws to remove the panel and expose the underside of the deck.
Same on the 343. Did this a few months ago. Just unscrew the panel and you see the bottom side of the clutches. Don’t know if it is the same on the 331.

May 3, 2022
Beneteau 331 City Island
Thank you everyone! Your uniform consensus will give me a lot of confidence when I do the same thing.
Arthur