Remove hard plastic side panels in Hunter 306/2003

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
I need access behind the starboard side hard plastic panel. not able to find any info on removing these.
Anyone have any leads or tips on how to remove these panels?

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
This is on my list as well. As I understand it, you will need to pull down the headliner first. I pulled out and reinstalled a small section recently and it wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. With the headliner out of the way you can access the mounting screws at the top of the panel. It’s definitely more of a project than it should be because you’ll also need to remove the “whisper” track holding up the headliner as well as the hatch trim pieces, all of which are installed over the top of the panels.

Here’s a thread about the whisper headliner that may help: Replace Headliner Hunter 306

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
J,
Thanks will look into it. I need to change the headliner also so that works right! Will keep you posted.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
If you are talking about the long dark plastic window covers for the cabin, I removed both of mine ('88 28.5) last fall (along with the top hatches) to replace the plastic which was being crazed (showing small cracks throughout the plexiglass).

To remove the side windows, I used a heat gun to soften the glue that's underneath and a 1" scraper to work through the glue, be patient, lifting it as I went... I'm sure you will find that the back side where it attaches to the fiberglass, is completely covered with glue.

I ended up breaking both pieces to different extents, but I took heavy blue masking tape to get the piece to a complete original size, and then I used that as a pattern to cut new ones out, including drilling out the holes. I think you will find both sides are exactly the same size.

I purchased new plexiglass from Tap Plastics and used black RTV to reattach the windows, along with the screws.

One other note, in watching some YouTube videos from the manufacturer, I ended up using a torch in order to smooth out the saw blade lines that were on the edges. This looked very nice when I was done, but I have noticed that all the edges that I use the torch on are now crazed again. I'd suggest sanding the edged (but staying off the smoother surfaces).

Mike
Window_s.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
This is on my list as well. As I understand it, you will need to pull down the headliner first. I pulled out and reinstalled a small section recently and it wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. With the headliner out of the way you can access the mounting screws at the top of the panel. It’s definitely more of a project than it should be because you’ll also need to remove the “whisper” track holding up the headliner as well as the hatch trim pieces, all of which are installed over the top of the panels.

Here’s a thread about the whisper headliner that may help: Replace Headliner Hunter 306
By removing the headliner I was able to easily remove the sides. Now have access to check wiring, deck hardware issues (found some leaky screws) and fix a soft spot on my deck from beneath without having to cut the deck and diamond anti slip.

Thanks all for the info.