Remote start on Yanmar 2GM20?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought a remote starter switch that I hope will allow me to start the engine from my engine room when I am ready to winterize the engine. I usually have someone help me, but wanted to see if I can remote start the engine from the engine room.

Does anyone know how/where to hook up the 2 wires? I assume one goes to the + battery, and the other on the starter or solenoid, but I am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've done this on older cars and that was exactly the case. One lead to the battery and the other to the starter relay/solenoid. Leave key in run position and hit the button to start

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
There is always battery power at the starter. The big wire. The solenoid is just a switch that switches that power to the motor inside. Hook your switch up between the big and small wires on the starter. Easier than going to the battery in most cases..

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
When connecting to big post at starter which is battery + add a fuse holder and 20amp fuse. So if wire gets caught in moving parts or rubs on engine block it won't start a fire

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Love the idea. Do you also have any way to stop the engine from the engine room? For me starting the engine at the helm while the intake hose is sitting in a full bucket wouldn’t be that hard; the scarier part is shutting it down just before the bucket empties.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Love the idea. Do you also have any way to stop the engine from the engine room? For me starting the engine at the helm while the intake hose is sitting in a full bucket wouldn’t be that hard; the scarier part is shutting it down just before the bucket empties.
I use a remote starter whenever I change the oil. I hook it up to the starter as described above. You actually have a few minutes of no water flow before your engine gets hot. On the advise of my mechanic, when I am in a situation where the engine might be hard to start, I crank the motor with the thru hull closed to bleed the air after an oil change and when it catches and is running I move the three feet and open the thru hull. Apparently if you crank and crank with the thru hull open you can fill the water muffler and then push water into the engine. To stop my Yanmar 2gm from the engine compartment I just reach down and left to the lever that is connected to the engine cut off knob and push it. Works like a charm!

May 17, 2004
ou actually have a few minutes of no water flow before your engine gets hot.
I’m not worried about overheating so much as damage to the impeller from running it dry. I’ve heard of impellers that can tolerate running dry but I don’t have one.

To stop my Yanmar 2gm from the engine compartment I just reach down and left to the lever that is connected to the engine cut off knob and push it. Works like a charm!
Sadly not an option on our 3YM30 with an electronic push button stop.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
My water pump is at the lowest spot on the engine, so I don’t think my impeller starts dry. But I understand.

Mar 29, 2017
Sadly not an option on our 3YM30 with an electronic push button stop.
[/QUOTE]

Actually its easier because the solenoid that the button engages can be pushed thru. To cut engine off

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for all the help. Sounds like this option is being used by many.

yes, I can stop the engine by actuating the fuel cut off at the engine.

is there any way to silence the *&$#$&** Buzzer at the engine panel when the key is set to run, but the engine isn’t running? I know this is an important safety feature, but is there a way to turn it off temporarily?

Greg

Mar 29, 2017
The buzzer is no oil pressure you need to identify send unit on block next to or just below oil filter and jump switch

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Mine starts with the key off. I immediately hop up and turn the key right after I open the seacock. But my engine is 35 years old and has exactly zero electronics on it.

Jan 7, 2011
I tried the remote starter tonight...not successful.

1) I see 2 lugs on the starter switch. I tried putting the leads on these 2 lugs...accidentally jumped across the 2 lugs with one of the clamps...engine turned over.

2) carefully put the 2 leads on the 2 lugs, squeezed the trigger on the remote starter...get a whirling sound from the starter, but it does not engage.

how much juice flows through the remote starter? The wire seems pretty flimsy.

I did not have the key on at the time.

i did check the starter afterwords with the key/ starter button on the engine panel, and it turned right over...so I guess I didn’t break anything.

any thoughts?

Greg

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
how much juice flows through the remote starter?

Well. Not enough in your case.

a whirling sound from the starter, but it does not engage.

This is symptom of voltage drop.
I would give up on connecting to the rear of the engine start panel and connect straight to the solenoid.
Connect one wire to the large lug on the right side of the solenoid, This wire should have a fuse (5 Amp) and go to your switch. The other side of your switch should go to the spade connection on the solenoid.
Keep the wires short and reasonably heavy gauge. Have a look at what gauge the ignition wire from the spade connection is.

Best of luck

gary

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Mine starts with the key off. I immediately hop up and turn the key right after I open the seacock. But my engine is 35 years old and has exactly zero electronics on it.
And no problem with alternator diodes burnout due to key off when engine runs?

Ken Y

May 17, 2004
And no problem with alternator diodes burnout due to key off when engine runs?

Ken Y
That was going to be my question too. But then looking at some 2GM20 wiring diagrams (Yanmar 2GM20F Electrics for example), it looks like the key just sits in series with the start switch as an extra lockout, not involved in the charging circuit at all.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
how much juice flows through the remote starter?

Well. Not enough in your case.

a whirling sound from the starter, but it does not engage.

This is symptom of voltage drop.
I would give up on connecting to the rear of the engine start panel and connect straight to the solenoid.
Connect one wire to the large lug on the right side of the solenoid, This wire should have a fuse (5 Amp) and go to your switch. The other side of your switch should go to the spade connection on the solenoid.
Keep the wires short and reasonably heavy gauge. Have a look at what gauge the ignition wire from the spade connection is.

Best of luck

gary
Thanks @garymalmgren. I was trying to connect direct the starter / solenoid. I could see the 2 large lugs and that is that I was connecting the remote trigger switch to. I will have to get a better look to find the smaller spade connection you show in your photo.

will try again tomorrow.

thanks for the help.

Greg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Gary is correct. If there is a large lug with a big wire disappearing into the starter, do not connect with it. It will just turn the motor. Use the other lug (which should have the battery wire)which engages the solenoid and directs starter current into the motor via that lug with the wire. Your remote starter switch does not need big wire. All it does is actuate the solenoid which closes a switch inside to turn the motor...