Remote Control Box

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Our previous boat had an Inboard Diesel motor which we really enjoyed! One of the main benefits of this arrangement, was the easy of control, i.e. Throttle/Shifting, not to mention the added safety when docking. Of course this is not the case with a conventional Outboard Motor. Also, another and unexpected benefit, as we found out, was the ability to "Motor Sail" easily, when the wind dropped. What a great way to go when the winds decide not to show up. The solution was to add a "Remote Control Box" mounted inside the Cockpit. I've done this on another boat, so I did have some experience with the installation. We use a 5HP Honda and Honda "RCB". The kit from Honda is around $65.00 and not to difficult to install. I was able to find a slightly used Honda "RCB" for $150.00. The control cables are routed through the cockpit drains for a clean installation. If these benefits aren't enough, the greatly improved "Weight Distribution" Front-to-Rear, coupled with less operator fatigue is well worth the effort, no more having to turn around to shift and loosing sight of wants in front of you, especially while docking!

Attachments

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Nice setup. Do you mind sharing part numbers? I can only seem to find Honda RCBs for 8HP motors and up. I have a 1997 5hp Honda. Thanks!!!

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Your Honda Dealer will be able to help you with the P/N of the correct Kit for your model/year motor, I am sure the P/N that I used will not work on your year motor because of the year differences. The Kit is necessary to adapt your motor from a Tiller to the "RCB" and its cables. I took a chance when I bought my used "RCB" so I don't have a P/N, but it works great.