remodel / renovation on an Out Island 36'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2010
Morgan Out Island 36 St Pete
I have a 1973 Morgan Out Island 36' and I am thinking of a revamp of the forward cabin. The aft cabin is great and I wouldn't change a thing. But that forward cabin makes me feel like I'm on a 26' boat.

Has anyone attempted such a thing. I'm thinking of ripping the galley on the starboard side out, ripping out the dinnette on the port side, and even gutting and deleting the forward head. I will then cut the bulkhead down a bit to "open" the boat up a bit. I will then proceed to build a new galley, smaller dinette, and a large settee/sofa and a charting station. Plenty of room. I will leave the forward vberth as is, as the water tank is below and probably needed for weight distribution.

But I'm a bit worried about cutting the bulkhead back. Mind you I will leave about a 6" arch of bulkhead for structure ?? But not even sure this is necessary as the boat is built like a tank !

Any suggestions ... other than not to do it. How to attach new supports to the bottom of the boat is special interest, as well as techniques/books on cabinetry on boat.

Thanks in advance

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
It is hard to make an assessment without looking at the boat, but you have to be careful about "cutting back" anything structural like a bulkhead which not only helps support the shape of the hull and deck, but if it is the main bulkhead, it will also support the mast, but now that I think on this, it is probably keel stepped. But, if deck stepped, then the bulkhead is huge.
Same way with any components in the boat which might have a function, but also might provide some longitudinal support, etc. So, make sure you're cutting won't bastardize the boat. The forward cabin could be good for kids or your guests and you and #2 can enjoy the spacious aft cabin.

Apr 4, 2010
Morgan Out Island 36 St Pete
Thanks BBill

You're right, it is keel stepped so I think I'm in the clear there. The 36' has a large engine room that has bulkheads forward and aft, these support the center cockpit above and I am hoping will provide enough support for the forward cabin. I won't be cutting all of the bulkhead in these photos, but making an arch out of it -- thats the plan. This will open the boat up and allow me to extend the settee on the port side into the forward head that willl be taken out completely. Vberth stay as is. Starboard side will probably be converted into a settee/sofa area with a chart table facing aft. Hard to imagine from these shots but if you've ever seen a 36' maybe you will get the gist.

Any ideas for attaching new supports for the construction to the hull. Fiberglass mat and such I assume, but I've never done it. Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.