relocating mainsail traveler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2010
Seidelmann 30 St. Petersburg, FL
I have a seidelmann 30 that I'm prep'ing to paint. I would like to make any changes prior to that. It was suggested I could relocate the mainsail traveler from the middle of the cockpit to over the cabin so I can have more room in the cockpit and install a bimini for shade. I understand that that increases the load. I don't even know the height of the mast or the area of the sail. Any advise?

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The location of the traveler now - a closer proximity to the wheel, enables the helmsperson to trim the mainsail. If you put it above the cabintop, then it is not so reachable. Also, above the cabintop it will interfere with a dodger, if you have one. And, yes, if you put the mainsheet mid boom instead of at the the trailing edge, then that adds a lot more force to the boom and you should make sure the boom can take it or is designed for the extra load. Another place might be on the bridge deck just aft of the companionway. There it will be behind the dodger, but forward the bimini. That's my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.