relocating gas bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wolf

I'm thinking of relocating the gas bottle from the anchor locker into the deep locker in the cockpit.(I would get a profesional in to do the job ) Anyone out there done that before ? pro's and con's any suggestions appreciated ! Happy sailing !

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Just one fundamental question, Is the bottom

of the locker above the water line?

W

wolf

Hello Ross, yes just above the water line I'm thinking of building a false bottom made of ply wood. But I'm not sure about the air ventilation, however if it turns out to be to complicated or I'm on the wrong track I'll have to give it a miss.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Wolf, Propane, being heavier than air will

drain out of the locker if you provide a drain to the outside of the boat. 1 inch to the foot is enough. (I built a mock up on land and checked). A bronze screen cut into a disk shape and rolled into a cone will serve as a flame arrester. If you put in a false bottom be certain that it is well sealed. You don't want stray gas getting under it.

W

wolf

Thanks Ross, good point ! The local gas fitter will come down to the boat this weekend and point me in the right direction.

J

joop

I once had this idea as well because of the oxidationproblem of the saulty-wet air around the gas-bottle. But thinking further, it is probebly not enough only to take care having the bottom of the locker above the waterline. What happens if your sailing on starboard-site. Probably half the bottle stays in the water. This doesn't solve the problem of corrosion, only brings the advantage of taking away weight out of the bow-region

W

Wolf

thanks 4 all the response

thanks 4 the response! as it turned out getting to complicated... I now have bought an aluminium gas bottle and have made a new fitting to hold the bottle in place properly.

J

Jan Huisman

Bottle in the sack

Hi Wolf, maybe a bit late, but this is my "solution" to the gas bottle corrosion problem: I pack the bottle and the spare bottle in good plastic trash sacks. The spare bottle with the sack opening down, sealed by a rubber band, the bottle in use with the sack opening up, with a rubber band to seal it around the gas outlet. Since we have a bottle exchange system in Holland we get a freshly painted bottle with every gas purchase, so the corrosion problem is manageable. I would never store a gas bottle inside the hull or sacrifice the deep locker in the cockpit. One other thing: I installed an electric heater in the hot water boiler and our gas consumption was about half of last year's! Happy sailing.

G

Gennaro

relocating gas bottles

Hello! I'm thinking about the problem myself, having two Camping Gaz bottles, one in use and the other spare, both in the bow locker. I tought to put them in two separate plastic buckets normally used for trash, having a cover. Alternatively, by building a small locker inside the space, and so raising also the sole and improving the chain space (50mt of chain)

Status
Not open for further replies.