Reinforcing bow

Apr 7, 2006
Just got a set of plans from Alden and they include a revision for reinforcing the bow between the first and second bulkhead. They were drawn in 1963 and our boat does not have the work done- might be the answer to what happenned to the challenger heading to Ireland this past spring.

Involves a fore and aft stringer (3/4 by 4" plywood) located just under the 2 berths and added glass to the frames in that area. Since we have no holding tank I thought this would be one of many winter projects to tackle. The ceiling is also attached to firring strips between the frames and there for not attached to the frames at all.

Anyone had to do this yet? Doesn't look too complicated and probably worth it.
Jon

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That's interesting.

Jon did you get the whole set of plans and if so how many are there, etc?

I can't recall what it looked like last time I was in there. Seems I recall a shelf about that wide that held the panels of the berths. Our Challenger has the SS water tank just aft of the first bulkhead.

That sounds simple enough. I'm considering turning the forward water tank into a holding tank at some point; it's not very useful for water as it sinks the bow alot. As a waste tank, it would spend alot less time full, I think, anyone done that?

Apr 13, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Mediterranean
Reinforcements

It looks to me from the plans I have like the recommended additional stringer would go directly under the birth platform. I'm suprised they suggest removing screws in frames and locating them in furring strips. Wouldn't think a few screws would weaken the frames that much. I think it might be a worthwhile phone call to Alden to see if this is still valid. It could have been an over reaction to a serious problem, perhaps the answer has changed since 1963. If they still say the screws should not be in the frames, mine are coming out!
When I read this originally, I thought the additional layers were just in the frames, but now it looks to me like the last additional layer is meant to carry between the frames as well. What do you think?

Apr 7, 2006
It appears they definately don't want screws in the frames the way they capitalized and underlined the "DO NOT". I suppose with those screw holes in an even line on both sides of the hull there could be an issue but that seems a long shot. On second thought there would be quite a few screws- those holding the ceiling in on the bottom of the piece above the berth platform as well as those holding the top of the piece below the platform and then those holding the risers to which the platform itself is attached.

The person at Alden I've been emailing alot with questions is Niels Helleberg. I'll email him and see what he thinks. He's been great and usually replies the same day.

Tom we don't have a water tank up forward- just one under each main cabin berth. I know there's a discussion here about fitting tanks up there so that is what we intend to do.

Apr 7, 2006
I heard back from Niels at Alden and the word there is there shoulkd be no problem if the distance between fasteners is greater than 3 times the diameter of the fastener- definately not a problem here.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I recently checked this area of my boat.

Recalling this thread, I pulled the vee berth bottom panels. The repair described was done on my boat at some point. The 4" inch plywood piece runs below the glassed in cleat that holds the bunk panel.

I can also see extra layers of glass layed over the ply and the general area. I always wonder at the use of plywood in these structures, especially the deck support system underneath. Had solid hardwood been used, it would have nearly doubled the strength. Plywood was pretty magical when it first came into genral use. Unfortunately, it's only half wood as load bearing material.