Regulating Water Heater Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack

Is there a way of setting the temperature of the Hot Water that is coming out of the faucets? Regardless of the method, directly from the Water Heater switch on the AC side of my panel at the dock or simply from running the engine, the water is HOT. Scalding HOT to be exact. This is potentially very dangerous to anyone not familiar with the boat, who just wants to wash their hands or shower. Thanks for any help.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don't know how you could control the temp.

Jack: If you have a Seaward there is a cover for the electrical connections. This is where the reset switch is located. There may be a temp control under there. I don't know how you could possibly control the temp of the water when it is heated by the engine. You would have to mess with the engine tempature which would upset the function of your engine efficency.

B

Bob Beck

If its a Seaward, No!

If you question is when the unit is AC powered vs employng the heat exchanger, the answere is no. I have called them and there is a thermostat mounted on the unit but its a fixed, non adjustable device. I too think the water is too hot. Seems to me that this could be modified or they could offer an ajustable one but that was not their bag. Which brings up and interesting question, why not? There also is a High limit switch in the same area as the thermostat....???? Anyone got further thoughts????

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Couple of things here.

Bob: Thanks for the input on the temp control. I have been inside the connection box but never looked for a temp control. The only problem I see here is the fact that if you are at anchor. We only have 6 gallons of HOT water. If we were to lower the temp of the water from say 140-150 deg. (probably about what it is) to say 120. You would probalby not have enough water to sustain you for very long. On our boat, starting the engine and letting it run at anchor WILL NOT heat up the water enough to help. So my thinking here is that this may be their way of giving more hot water without giving you more water! But I have to agree that this water is HOT! The only thing I can see that is feasible is some type of mixing valve like they use in showers and bath tubs at home.

J

Joe O

Isotherms have it!

I recently replaced my water heater on my H34 with an 8 gallon Isotherm unit from Defender. It has an adjustable thermostatic mixing valve right on the tank and mixes cold water with hot right at the tank and dumps it into the hot water circuit. This gives me way more than 8 gallons of usable hot water that's not scalding hot. This is the best water heater I've ever seen! When at anchor, the engine heats up the water real fast because the unit has a double loop heat exchanger inside the tank. This water heater was rated "tops" by Practical Sailor in 2000. My old water heater did an awful job of heating water from engine running. WHen I finally removed it, I found that there was so much sediment in the water tank that it covered the engine heat exchanger inside the tank, which prevented heat transfer to the water. After seeing that, I will always drain/flush the tank out on a yearly basis!

J

Jon Petersen

For $80 you can purchase a mixing valve

In Sail mag. they have a add for a hot and cold mixing valve that you can set the temp on.. I don't have the web like at hand but I will look for it..

F

Frank Arndorfer

Hot water IS hot

I have a H340 and concour with all the posts. it appears there's solutions out there. I'm particularily interested in the Isotherm solution. Was there any problem fitting the 8 gallon unit in the 340.???? One remedy that I've tried that seems quite effective. I tell people when they're on the boat; "Be careful. The hot water is VERY hot." Seems to work.

J

JoeO

Isotherm

Sorry, I installed the 8 gallon Isotherm on an H34 not a 340. There was plenty room left over and I could have fit their 11 gallon model in the space under one of the dinette seats. Check out the Denfender catalogue for measurements if you are interested. Or check out Isotemp's website (www.great-water.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.