Registration Number Recommendations for Dinghy

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
IMG_0187.JPG
Good morning all, we recently received our Lehr 5HP propane outboard and need to get the dinghy registered in NY. Does anyone have recommendation for applying the numbers to the inflatable? Stencil/painting, precut alpha-numerical, placards/frames? Looking for some level of longevity. The dinghy is PVC with inflatable hull and rigid floor insert. The boat gets inflated in the spring, deflated in the fall, rolled up and stored in a bag in the off season. Thanks in advance for suggestions and opinions.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I used stencil but made a few mistakes. Number one, the stencils do not auto space, you have to align each one both vertically and horizontally one at a time, ignoring the outside edges. It was very difficult to get the right spacing. Two, the supplied paint and brush was hard to use and get a clean edge. I ended up using a wide sharpie marker.
If there is a next time, I would print out the numbers, cut them to make a stencil and use a black wide sharpie. Allow 48 hrs for the ink to dry before getting wet.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
After painting my numbers with stencils for many years and repainting every other year, I finally bit the bullet and bought the flexible, glue-on boat number plates. I should have done that from the get-go.
http://boatnumberplate.com/

I inflate. use, and store the same as you describe. My dinghy is Hypalon, but that just means you use a different glue if you don't use the stick-on option.
2016_0606_162710.JPG

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I bought a piece of plexiglass and cut it into two pieces that are large enough to accommodate the height and width of the letters/numbers and the registration sticker.

Drilled a small hole in each corner. Use cable ties to attach these to the rope handholds on the side of the dinghy. In the fall I just cut the cable ties so the dinghy can be deflated and rolled for storage.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I've been using stick on letters and numbers for years. Last year I bought these from Amazon and they have good flexibility and the best adhesive of any I have ever used. I recommend them if you go that route. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LR5W74

Just put a straight line of painters tape along the bottom to mark a straight edge when applying

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I too went with Rich's number plate after seeing my stick on numbers peel off after every dink stowage. We used to have loose hang plates but Maryland DNR now prohibits their use.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
New York allows you to put plaques on your inflatable. I made my plaques using 1/8" thick polypropylene which is very flexible. Polypropylene will not crack causing sharp edges which may damage your inflatable or yourself. I attach them to the rope handles on the inflatable with shackles. When I come along side a boat or dock, I flip them to the interior of the inflatable so the vinyl numbers or mother ship don't get damaged. They are easy to remove when tightly folding the inflatable for winter storage.
Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 12.43.12 PM.png

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I had the plate type and someone stole it at a dinghy dock. Wanted the state sticker I guess. Now I go the marker route and stick the state tag on the transom.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I used stick on letters/numbers. They work OK, but want something more permanent. I thought about paint but that can be removed and eventually it will fade. Then I read about using patching material to make letters and number. So I plan on ordering from eBay black patch material for my PVC dinghy. I will then use stencils to mark and cut out the letters and numbers. After that, use repair glue to place the letters and numbers on the boat.

To line up the letters and numbers, I plan on putting them on a table and use packing tape. This will keep the spacing when I do the transfer. Once on the tape, turn over, glue, and transfer the taped numbers/letters to the boat. Leave the tape on until the letters/numbers set then remove the tape. The registration becomes a permanent part of the boat.

JMHO

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Big wide black perminant marker from dollar store. Touch up every year and stick one of the stickers to transom. Save the other for when someone steels it. Or to stick on next dink. When someone steels it.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I used the stencil method but use spray paint and use way less paint than you think it needs. That way it won't crack and peel off. Also, prep it by washing it off with solvent first. If you want to remove the letters, just use appropriate solvent.

Ken

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I went with stencils and a wide sharpie. Our dink is in the sun full time, Fla in winter and NE in summer. The sharpie fades at a rate that I should redo it once a year but I can go 2 years between touchups with no problem. Takes about an hour to retouch

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I bought the plastic placards from West Marine and hang them from the dinghy with removeable zip ties attached to the handles. When i deflate the dinghy i can remove the placards. I got tired of the stick-on letters and numbers that fall off constantly.
bob

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I bought the plastic placards from West Marine and hang them from the dinghy with removeable zip ties attached to the handles. When i deflate the dinghy i can remove the placards. I got tired of the stick-on letters and numbers that fall off constantly.
bob
Don't use the dinghy dock at Ft Myers Beach. It will disappear.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Thank you all for the responses. I'm strongly leaning towards the recommendation provided by @Rich Stidger as opposed to stenciling, painting, or self adhesive lettering. I followed the link that was provided and found the instructions for applying the flexible, preprinted, number plates. This process sound like it would have the most permanence, similar to @Brian D 's patch material suggestion. Although hanging rigid plates also sounds like a good idea, the potential for theft has me concerned as well.

The number plates mounting process can be found here: http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2161213/f/PVC_INST.pdf

This process sounds similar to that of repairing a hole in the dinghy.

Thanks again all!