Registration and Name lettering for new to me boat

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
Any suggestions on getting lettering for registration and printing boat name? Any websites that have worked for you guys in the past?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Since I have the computer capability I designed my own graphics and went to a local sign company and they cut my three-color overlaid name and the block letters for my hailing port. They gave me instructions on how to apply and a squeegee tool to remove all of the bubbles. Each layer was put down and the layered graphics were hinged together with tape so perfect alignment was assured.
The first side took me about 2 hours to apply - very cautious and on the learning curve. The second side took less than an hour.
Twenty two years later and it still looks good. And a local shop got the business.

2016_0510_091430.JPG

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
As @Rich Stidger said, go with a local sign shop and it's probably cheaper.

If you like playing with computer graphics, lay out a single photo and do some placement and sizing. Exact measurements and position are done by reference to something in the photo. Here, the vertical distance between the two red stripes was used as a reference measurement. This is reduced size so is a little hazy.

Original vinyl lettering:
Boat profile 01.JPG

Computer cleaned up:
1-Boat profile 1.JPG

New "virtual" graphics in place:
2-Profile.JPG

Dimensions calculated by reference to red pin stripes:
3-Profile with Dimensions.JPG

In real life with no computer jiggery pokery:
DSC_1967R.JPG

The print shop wanted the .TTF file for the font.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I used Island Boat lettering on Long Island and was happy with there work.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you plan to document your boat, the CG has very specific rules about how big and what font you can use. If you plan to state register, I'd check with them about size and font (if they care) before you get too deeply invested in one you can't use.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Boats did my name, location and registration numbers to match.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If state-registered, they WILL have font and sizing requirement for the the bow letters-n-numbers. USCG also HAS requirements for font and sizing.... Gotta say that a lot off owners violate the documentation display rules to some extent. Local maritime LEO's and USCG are spread pretty thin and seldom have time for these minor violations. Usually. Unless it's not your lucky day...

This one part of vessel appearance that should conform to regulations. Local River Patrol Deputies have always told us that they ignore "squared away" vessels in favor of obviously out-of-compliance boats and boats with noticeable safety (and idiocy) concerns. :wahwah: